Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Plastic reeds

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    George Shaw
    Participant

I have just gone back on to Legere (from Reeds Direct uk there about the cheapest) and really like it. the Rico cane 2.5 was really too hard for me my bottom lip was sore, and plus I went through a stage of damaging so many reeds, you know bending down to pick something up the tip just touches your head,,, oh no theres another reed gone.
      So I bought a Legere 2 , had it for a month now its so easy to play and no sore lip. It does get a little tired after about 45min it isn’t perfect but what is. Another plus for me is I can wash it.

Soon be Christmas, if I’m good and practice Santa might bring me a 2.5
      hey 64 years old and still believe in Santa

Cheers

carol cassidy
      Participant

Hi Johnny ..

I’ve been learning the sax now for about 8 weeks and using a 2.5 Vandoren reed on my alto .( What’s that saying where angel’s fear to tread fools rush in ) The problem is my bottom lip is red raw , I’ve got to say it looks more like an allergy to the reed . Tonight I’ve tried swapping it for a plastic covered Rico 2.5 and although my lip is still sore from last night it doesn’t feel any worse . Would appreaciate your thoughts on the matter .

Thanks Carol

john
        Keymaster

I think 8 weeks is not enough experience for that reed strength. If you made that jump and it worked out I wouldn’t be shocked but it ‘s obviously not working out. I would get a couple #1’s and a couple of #1.5’s at this very beginning stage for a while. Then try a #2. Getting on a 2.5 right away is not good advice from anyone.

carol cassidy
          Participant

Hi Johnny

Many thanks I’ve take your advice .

Thanks Carol

Jimu Grimmett
            Participant

Hi Guys,

Have you tried Hahn reeds?
              I’ve been using them since I was busking in Stuttgart Germany in 2000.
              I am not a pro player, but find them easy to blow, very long lasting and not so subject to weather conditions, no need to soak em either!

They cost around $23 us each, but one will last me easily 6-9 months.
              I get mine from a supplier in Argentina, fast and efficient.
              Definately worth a try in my book.
              I’ve tried the Legere reeds… To me they feel a bit dead in comparison to the Hahn’s
              Cheers from New Zealand.
              Jimu

Randy
              Participant

I think some of the illusion is that the synthetics are consistent in quality. I use Legere and really feel the signature series is the best for me. I have found that 3 out of 4 play great. They back up the quality so you can return the ones that do not work right. There are nuisances of cane that are hard to beat but when I find a cane reed that I love and play it to death and then wait until I find another like it in the future….sometimes its a long wait. With the synthetic you can jump on the reed right away and feel confident that it is going to give you most of what you are looking for. (My take) So my guess is that synthetic will only get better as the technology gets better too.

john
                Keymaster

No, but sounds interesting cause I’m not totally comfortable with legere either.
                  thanks for the tip!

john
                  Keymaster

Believe me, I’m rootin for them to get better, would love to put on a synthetic and feel as good as my Vandorens do.
                    Don’t forget that your mouthpiece plays a role in it too. My awesome java vandorens suck on anything other than on my Guardala mp.

Tim56
                    Participant

OK Guys, My 2 cents here. I have been playing both Legeres and Fibracells for 3 years or so. I also have a Bari plastic. The others are not really plastic. There is a Hann reed out of Germany that is supposed to be very good. I have bought some accessories from Steve Goodson. nationofmusic.com He has all kinds of stuff. Check him out. He called me about an order and asked what reed I was using. I said Fibracell. He said, right answer. So, many views out there. Steve has been a pro for years. Does not travel anymore. I did use cane yesterday. Alexander and La Voz, Rico. OK, but still the squeak from me. More than likely, a personal problem? My teacher says I sound fine. Others say it’s OK too. Guys, Johnny could play a barn door and sound great! I think they call that, major talent!

john
                      Keymaster

For me, cane reeds are the best but they can be inconsistant, thing is when you do get a great one it feels real nice and can last too, depending on the brand I think.
                        Every body is different so only you can decide. I’ve tried most of the ones people have mentioned on here and I still use cane reeds. Personally, I can’t scream up high or sub-tone softly down low with anything other than a real good cane reed. Wish I could because synthetics last a really long time!
                        Regarding having problems with your cane reed, you may need to try almost half the box before you get the good one, also. most brands take a while to break in so give them another chance before you decide.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 66 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.