Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Plastic reeds

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Bo Fritts
    Participant

I tried a Fibracell on my alto, it made playing quite easy for me as a beginner. So easy, that my breathing got messed up because I did not have to breath as much. I keep it for times when I am having trouble learning something new, and it helps. Then I can take the new piece onto a natural reed.

Tim56
      Participant

Hey Guys and Gals: I have been using synthetics for over 2 years. Fibracells and PlastiCovers first, then Legeres.. I like all of them. That said, I don’t use the Plasticovers too much any more. There are 2 types of Legeres, Studio Cut and Signature. You can sand the Studio Cuts. The directions in their case tell you how. I have done that and they seem to work better for me. The Signatures can not be sanded. Out of the box and away you go. Cane drove me nuts when I started 4 years ago. Too much squeaking! I almost stopped playing. I got a box of Vandoren zz reeds at Johnny’s suggestion to give them a try again. I am able to play them, the sound is good, but at my living altitude 6000 ft, it’s very dry. I know many guys that play at altitude that use syns and stay with them all the time. The bottom line is, what works for you! I will report back on Sunday after I have a lesson with Johnny! Tim

kevin broughton
        Participant

Have been playing a fibracell reeds for the last year. Had 3 reeds in the hole year , each one played the same as the last one
          no buying a box of five to get one good reed , not say there better than a real good cane reed but you can get the same tone ever time
          Have tried two boxs of rico select jazz in the last two weeks got one real good reed out of each box but they sound completely differant

Tim56
          Participant

Hey folks, I had my lesson with Johnny. Do it! He is a great guy and is a good teacher! He listens and tells you how your sound is and how to improve it. We worked om effects and tunes he has and mine too. Great time ans well worth every penny! Tim

Tim56
            Participant

Plastic reeds huh? That’s me. Been playing them for 4 years. I live at 6000 feet. Can you say very dry! I had a lesson from Johnny 2 days ago. I found a real plastic reed, Bari. So, I thought I’d use it to start off with. He said it sounded good. Hmmm? I had not used it for some time. Bottom line, There for me. I am used to using them. Not to mention, long lasting. consistent and no hassle. I use Fibracells and Legers. I have not bought a new one for over a year now. If Johnny reply’s, I’m sure he will tell you folks how I sound with them. Oh, If you have not taken a lesson from him? Do it!!! You will meet a great guy and someone who cares how your doing and can help you very much with your playing and understanding your instrument and the music we play. Rock on! Tim Hey, I said this before huh??? LOL Another thing,,,, I’m old! 70

Rodney Name
              Participant

HEy Folks,

I just dove into the Legere reed world. I must agree with the plastic reed folks. Great to play with and never have to worry about removing the reed to soak in water. It is always ready to jam. I find they do not growl as well but I’m finding how to move them each time I play. I was playing Vandoren Jazz 2.5 on a Otto Link NY 5 and moved to a Charlie Andrew (rare m/p) #8 with Legere 2 and exploded with sound. Furthermore, if you can find a Charlie Andrew m/p is it worth, paid only 109 bucks on eBay.

Z
                Participant

I’ve been playing a fibracell reed on Bari for a few weeks cause I was sick of a cane reed playing once and then warping and sounding stuffy. Like every time. The first time I played the fibracell I was like “this is way different. Doesn’t sound as good as a cane reed” then after a day or two I got used to it and noticed that it sounded just like a regular cane reed. I asked some friends if they could tell a difference in my sound. They didn’t notice anything different. So basically they sounds just as good if not better than cane reeds as far as I’m concerned, they’ll last way longer, and they don’t hold back my playing at all. So they are an amazing deal for Bari, and I’m gonna have to try them out on the tenor too.

Leo Jr
                  Participant

I agree. I bought a Fibracell 2 and got very comfortable with it. I liked the sound. I then bought a Fibracell 3 to experiment with and its a big jump. BUT when I go back to the 2.0 I’ve got so much more control so I love the 3.0 to practice with.

If you want to try a Fibracell, about $15.00 on Amazon for my Tenor, take a half step down from 2.5 Cane to 2.0 Fibracell as they are a bit stiffer.
                    Leo

Tim56
                    Participant

REED UPDATE! I have posted here a few times in support of synthetic reeds. I still play them at times.I have gone back to cane for a better tone. They also do much better up high for me. Don’t know why the syns don’t pop up high. Hmm? Operator error? Might be. Kepp playing. Tim

Z
                      Participant

I know that for some reason people think that cane sounds better than synthetic. Maybe for some people that’s the case. But I just recorded a little quick clip to hear the difference between a regular java and a fibracell and they literally sound the exact same. There’s no difference whatsoever. It’s just how they feel to you and the sound you hear in your own head when you play that’s different. So if you’re looking for something different and trying to save money, definitely try them!

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 66 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.