Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone Recording Myself

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    RockinRobin
    Participant

Recording myself.
      Good idea. I record myself 30 to 40 times a day every day on GarageBand. Right now I’m recording a song but I won’t post it until I get it right. I’ve been playing this song since 1996 but I usually mess up one or two notes before I get to the end. I have a backing track and I play along with the backing track. Well in about a year I might have it ready to post. Like Johnny tells us. Recording yourself is the best way to learn the sax. Have fun making music. Cheers
      William

Anonymous

Here’s a tip from a concert pianist. Only use it when you come across a section of notes that you keep making mistakes on.

lets say you have a problem with 8 notes (or any number of notes).

practice notes 1,2,3,4 over and over (at least 8 times) until you can play it without a mistake.

then practice notes 2,3,4,5 over and over (at least 8 times) until you can play it without a mistake.

then practice notes 3,4,5,6 over and over (at least 8 times) until you can play it without a mistake.

then practice notes 4,5,6,7 over and over (at least 8 times) until you can play it without a mistake.

then practice notes 5,6,7,8 over and over (at least 8 times) until you can play it without a mistake.

then practice notes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 this time you should be able to play all 8 notes without a mistake.

RockinRobin
        Participant

Good tip James.I was having a problem going from the D.S. to the signal and continuing so I’ll go over those sections and trying to keep up with the backing track

Anonymous

Here’s what a professional jazz player that i know does, it’s fairly obvious, and he does it every time when he has to perform playing a music sheet with a backing track.

Get your metronome out, and master playing the sheet in time with the metronome, only when you can play the sheet in time with the metronome without any mistakes. Then and only then, practice playing the music sheet with a backing track.

Anonymous

final tip, that concert musicians do.

When the music sheet has lots of repeated sections and has jumps to different parts of the sheet. Get yourself some different coloured high lighters (coloured marking pens), then highlight the notes in a different colour where you jump to the second time, or where you finally jump to.

believe it or not, concert musicians also pencil in reminders on the music sheet where they forget to play in a certain way, or where they have gone wrong in the past, instant reminders while playing live.

So contrary to belief, not everyone plays from a clean music sheet.

Ps
              A music friend of mine, he says if you are playing a music sheet to a live audience and there is a difficult section, where you could go wrong and make a mistake. Under no circumstances tense up when you come to that part of the sheet because if you do, it’s going to present psychological playing problems with every other sheet you play.

Instead you must train yourself to relax at the point where you start playing a difficult part of the sheet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.