Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Reeds for a high baffle mouthpiece.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Louis
    Participant

Hello all!

I am newer to the higher baffle mouthpieces. I don’t seem to have a problem with my reeds for my alto in regards to which mouthpiece I use, Meyer 5 and a Vandoren Jumbo Java.

However on tenor, I am using a 2.5 Legere synthetic reed, which works great with my Otto Link Tone Master, but seems to want to close up in the higher register on a Berg Larsen high baffle piece. I guess my question is, would a stronger reed likely be my solution? Figured I would ask before spending the money.

Thanks so much!

Lou

brother cavefish
      Participant

i am not a fan of fibre reeds, if i use them the best in my opnion would be a carbon onyx, but in some cases file work might be done,,, that being said, if your reed is closing up, firmer reeds can help the issue, , but it might also be your air strength (too small a tip opening for the baffle) my thoughts anyway i am not a fan of baffles either, lol to bright

Louis
        Participant

Thanks for the input, @brother-cavefish . That would make sense thinking about it. I’ll give the old cane reed a shot on it, get some that are a little more firmer than the equivalent to my Legere. I think that may help with the solution.

Thanks again

brother cavefish
          Participant

Java green are great, D Adarrio select unfiled are great, V16 Vandoren are nice, , great choices,, Vandoren will send you samples for free if you take the time to email them , always willing to get a new customer especially if you tell them you use synthetics and pondering , reed—

john
            Keymaster

It’s good to ask Lou but at some point you’ll just have to try something else.
              as for the mp…on alto (which I rarely play) I did use a meyer (never tried the Jumbo Java) cause everybody says that’s what alto players use. It’s true that many jazz players liked that smooth sound I guess, like Paul Desmond but I heard your alto piece and that’s not you so maybe the meyer isn’t the best option for your alto. I did a comparison video which is still in the blog section playing an alto with a meyer and a claude lakey and even there you can hear a pretty big difference.

Louis
              Participant

@Johnny I just watched the comparison video, and wow what a difference that was between the two! That Claude Lakey has a such a bigger sound, and fits that horn and your style to a perfect match!

The alto piece I uploaded was using the Jumbo Java. I typically use my Meyer for my smoother, swing pieces, but I do agree as I believe there is a better option for that, for my horn. I bought the Meyer for the same reason as you mentioned, I was told “that’s what all the alto players use!” Haha

Now going to keep working on things! Appreciate the insight and your time as always, Johnny!

saxomonica
                Participant

Hi @Louis this is all rather baffling, is it not?
                  Trust that things have a habit of working out.
                  The cows will come home to pasture?
                  Why do brown cows eat green grass and make white milk?

Yee ha @Brother Cavefish !!
                  Just blew $AUD55- on your account being on an Ebay special, spin a chicken dinner,
                  4-Boxes-of-D’Addario-Jazz-Select-Tenor-Saxophone-Reeds-Strength-2H-Unfiled.

Thanx @Johnny i got 10 pack box of 2.5 Java Green for my alto on Ebay special $AUD36- too.

Thanking you all most kindly,
                  Sings Abba, Mama Mia

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.