Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Rolling Stones Miss You on Alto Sax

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Warren Bye
    Participant

Hi Johnny,

I really want to learn the main hook from the above song on my alto, but it’s proving difficult to find saxophone music or a tutorial for it. That’s not a problem because I want to develop my transposing ability as well. I’ve found sheet music for the piano, which I got from this site: http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=MN0066583&

The sound is obviously too low when playing that piano version, so I was wondering if you could give any tips on how to begin experimenting and finding the right notes for the alto. Am I right in thinking that I should just increase the pitch a key at a time until it sounds right?

I’d appreciate any tips. Thanks.

Warren

john
      Keymaster

This is very simple stuff. Once you understand the easy theory behind it you’ll be able to transpose anything you want.
        Just understand that you play an Eb alto. It’s called an Eb alto because when you play a C on it, that C is an Eb on the piano.
        If you look at the keyboard you’ll see that the difference between a C and an Eb is a minor 3rd, or 3 semi-tones (C#, D, Eb)

Now look at the music you pointed out, it’s in A minor. If you want to transpose it to alto you must be a minor 3rd below, so count down 3 semi-tones from A (G#, G, F#) …you’ll be playing it in F# on your alto so it matches the A on the piano.

If you are only going to play it by yourself you don’t need to transpose it at all, just read the piano music and play it in A.

Warren Bye
        Participant

Thanks, will give it a go!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.