Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Show Us Your Sax Show us your sax?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Marcelo Moreno
    Participant

Yes João,
      I'm a fan of blues, rock, jazz and Brazilian music. Do you know any Brazilian musician?
      Look on youtube for Paulo Moura. He was a great saxophonist, died last year.
      Another thing, will you post the technique used to emit a sound kind "hoarse"?

Regards
      Marcelo Moreno

john
      Keymaster

Thanks Moreno, I'll look for his music… I sometimes play Jobim and a few songs similar to his style.

I think by "hoarse" you mean the raunchy growly tone we use in rock and roll? Yes, I think many people here are into that and I will do a lesson on it soon.

Dave
        Participant

Hello All,
          I enjoyed hearing about your horns and seeing them. I've been trying to attach the picture of my horns for awhile now with no success having only basic computer skills. Anyway I did manage to get the pic attached to where my avitar goes. Maybe the picture can be enlarged so it can be seen. As you can see I have an alto and a tenor. I got these horns in the early 90's thinking I would be able to make time to learn back then but was unable to. The alto has very few hours of play as I felt I better learn the prefered tenor first. I bought the horns at the same time,they're Selmar Series 80 Super Action II's. I have been learning to play the tenor for two years, on my own for the first and a half and been taking lessons for the last six months. and I have been practicing what Johnny's been teaching us, thanks! I guess thahs about all I've got to say right now.

Have a good weekend
          Dave

Alan Sizer
          Participant

G'day all,

SV869.jpg

Here are my horns. The tenor is a Yammy YTS23 that I got starte on about 4 years ago. Picked it up second hand for AUD400 and I've spent at least that on maintenance and other bits since. It came with the standard 4C mouthpiece, which I'm using with a 2.5 reed. It also came with a 6C & 7C MP as well as a Berg Larsen 110/0, which I've tried at times for a great outdoor band sound, but I'm a long way from mastering it. I ditched the Yammy lig, though and bought a Selmer silver plate (still a two-screw metal wrap around type, but is much more responsive.

The 'mini-me' unit is a Yanagisawa curved sop (SC991) that I bought second hand (from my tax refund) last year as a travel companion. It was in near new condition and had just been serviced. I had a choice between this and another model Yani that spoke a bit easier and was a few hundred less, but it came down to key ergonomics. The 991 side keys are a better designed and it still speaks with a nice tone. Being a curved unit, one is more conscious of the volume it puts out – a lot of sound for such a little instrument. Anywau, with this one, I'm using the standard Yani #5 mouthpiece with a 2 reed and a Rovner 2M lig that I orignally got for the Berg mouthpiece – works better than the Yani lig.

When I feel that I'm more liomited by equipment than my skill & technique, I'll look into upgrading the set up on both horns! Maybe even upgrad the tenor as well. It all comes back to $$$ though!

Cheers

Al

Dolph
            Participant

Speaking about upgrades…..I just bought a Selmer Reference 54 Dragonbird tenor and because it was costing me an arm and a leg, I thought it was OK for the dealer to throw in a new mouthpiece as part of the deal. It had to be a Dave Guardala MB II. I normally play with a Otto Link 6* mouthpiece and a Vandooren V16 #3.5 reed, but I can tell you that with the same reed I could not get ANY low tones with the new mouthpiece !!
              I've just ordered some Vandooren #3, 2.5 and 2, just to see if I can make it work with that. I guess there is a lot of practising ahead.
              When I have some time, I will take a picture and post it here (with the Guardala MB II I hope).
              Cheers,
              Dolph

john
              Keymaster

Dolph, I find the only reeds that really respond on the Guardala are the Vandoren Java reeds. I love them, I tried the V but not the same.
                You'll find a blurb and link on them here:

All About Saxophone Reeds

Dolph
                Participant

Thanks Johnny, but I could not eliminate the squeeks. Especially in the lower register I could not make it work. I sold the Guardala and now have a metal Vandoren V16 T75. This works much better for me, maybe because it resembles the Otto Link a bit more.
                  I am in the process of finding out which reed will work best for me on this one. At the moment I,ve got a whole range to chose from !!
                  Cheers,
                  Dolph

pablo jimenez
                  Participant

🙂 😮 😎

pablo jimenez
                    Participant
                      Quote:
                      Quote from urupablo on September 9, 2012, 19:12
                      😮 Conn 6M “Naked Lady” 1950

8w05g-CONN-1.jpg

john
                      Keymaster

Looks beautiful!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.