Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone Something….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Potter
    Participant

Trying to do one project a week, I had to wait last week for the mic I ordered to arrive, the one I was using was probably dropped one too many times! The new mic (a Sterling 170 active ribbon mic) arrived on Saturday, I took it out, hooked it up and recorded Something this morning. The tune isn’t polished but I really like how the mic responded (no breakups or drop outs). I just kept the EQ flat in Logic Pro, attenuated the lows/highs, added some hall reverb (like 8%) and a little quarter note echo (5%) like I normally do and dang if I didn’t get a decent sound without a lot off fiddling with EQ’s and such. I notice my altissimo is getting a little “loose”, need to practice more in that upper range.

my set up is a 1974 Selmver Mark VI, a Westcoast Sax MoFo .115 mouthpiece and a select jazz 3S reed. Let me know what you think, be brutally honest I really want to focus on improving my sound, if something in my playing/tone could be improved I’d really like some feedback and thoughts for improvement! Thanks!

Something in the Way She Moves

Pete
      Participant

Brilliant.

john
        Keymaster

nice sound mike.
          way to be productive! I’m getting out one a week too…feels good.

Mel
          Participant

Yeah!

Mike Potter
            Participant

Thank you all! I’m working on How Sweet it Is this week, hope to have it dialed in enough to record soon. Being locked away has really helped in me understanding how to use the recording gear I have, there are a lot of “subtleties” involved in recording that have an impact on the sound. Youtube is a huge benefit!!! Stay safe everyone!

john
              Keymaster

good luck Mike. ya, How Sweet it is took me longer than I expected….Jr Walker’s version is not so-straight-ahead. But well worth the effort in the long run.

Mike Potter
                Participant

Lol! Yeah it’s proving to be quite the challenge!!! I’m on take 78… I’m sure my neighbors hate me!!

john
                  Keymaster

take 78?>….good Mike, you’ll be a better player for it!

Gary Deripaska
                    Participant

Very Very nice , love the growls you put in there. Great job

Leo Salu
                      Participant

Hello Mike, I was thinking of buying this song “Something” but was a little afraid of that upper range,
                        but might give it a try after all, you did a great job on your cover. A little jealous of your Sax,
                        I use an old Selmer Bundy tenor and also have a new etude tenor, best I could do.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.