Home Forums General Questions Still can't growl… grrr

This topic contains 32 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jazz Cat 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Simon
    Participant

Martin i understand your question. And i can tell that sax player can change ‘color’ of tone using same reed,mpc and sax. Some songs can be played with warm soft sound and next song can be played dirty. It’s in all in our head. Alot to do with your sound is listening to certain sax players. If you listen Johhnys recordings long time and practice with him, your sound will go in direction of his sound. But if you will listen recording of classical sax player,then your sound will go in that direction. Anyway i think you need to have the sound that you want to get out of sax in your head. For concert band i use classical mpc vandoren TL4. I can play with my high baffle mpc too, but i’ll have to hold back myself all the time to not cut thru the rest of players. So diff mpc can help play diff kind of music, but at the end it will always be you and your sound, no matter what mpc you use.

Correct me if i’m wrong.

Simon

Johnny
    Johnny
    Keymaster

yes good points Martin.
    if you use a low or no baffle rubber mp you will get that “dark” sound preferred by classical musicians.
    if you’re going for a more pop, blues, rock (like my sound) you can’t do it on this type of m I know that because I can’t either!

sxpoet
    Participant

Just to throw a spanner in the works, my guardalla metal king is far better sounding for classical music than the previous classical mouthpieces i had, and it works well for pop, rock etc.. To me this mouthpiece, by sheer genius is a far superior all round saxophone mouthpiece. There’s no way i would go back to the so called classical setups, i’ve played in an orchestra a few months back, and my tone was exactly the same as the rest of the altos in the orchestra. This mouthpiece lets me do a lot more things than all my previous setups.

Johnny
    Johnny
    Keymaster

yes good point, I believe that it’s totally possible to be much more versatile on that mp whereas the rubber one is one dimensional.
    some would and do argue that these materials have nothing to do with the way you will sound. But I experimented with a silver plated guardala against a gold plated one and even then some could hear a difference. so, this becomes more extreme when comparing a hard rubber one to metal

Martin Pavíček
    Participant

OK, thank you all for the answers. The only thing I still miss is a practical demonstration – someone who would record, for example “I’ll play as warm and soft tone as I can for one minute”, and then “and now I will play the same as sharp”, and so on. It is about “limit states” – to what extent can this be influenced. That would help me to get an idea of what might happen to me in the future, and what rate is already out of bounds.

sxpoet
    Participant

Probably a demo for Johnny to do in the paid forums. It might be far quicker to get your sax teacher to demonstrate it one to one, unless you can find something similar on utube. I don’t do videos or record demonstrations of any kind, my set up is too poor quality for playback listening.

Jazz Cat
    Participant

changing reeds, i can get a bit more buzz w/new one (same type; vandoren java green 2.5); i just ordered a mix pack of 2s to test; a lower # may make it esier to growl with?

Johnny
    Johnny
    Keymaster

yes coul;d probably help get the growl a bit easier. but eventually you’ll need to transfer that technique to your reed that you play all the time or else you’re changing down a strength just to growl. but it may help to at least start getting the growl.

Jazz Cat
    Participant

good point; thanks! hopefully a softer 2 will help me start growling; then work on transferring back to 2.5 …helps to test all this stuff

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.