Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video ten years ago when i gave up playing the acoustic guitar and started on the Alto

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sxpoet
    Participant
      sxpoet
      Participant

one of the first alto recordings round about 9 years ago

saxomonica
        Participant

Fantastic, this is the start of something BIG!!

sxpoet
          Participant

The interesting part, is to compare the sound quality of both recordings.
            1. both recordings were done in the same room
            2. both recordings were recorded with the same JVC camcorder
            3. the audio files were extracted from the camcorder movies using Quicktime software
            4. both recordings the camcorder was the same distance from the guitar and the sax

the guitar recording shows the room is okay for recording guitar and singing, but the sax recording doesn’t sound as nice. So i can’t blame the room for the sound quality, and i wouldn’t change anything in the room to record the guitar.

Both recordings were not put through any music software to change the quality of the audio recording. So i can’t blame software for altering the sound quality as no software was used to equalise, compress, normalise etc … like in music software.

That only leaves the inbuilt microphone on the camcorder to account for the difference between both recordings.

So it shows how the microphone type does make a difference between the two recordings, camcorder microphones are designed more for the middle range of sound frequencies like recording the speaking voice.

imho, If you can’t get a better sound quality for recording the sax, by recording in a different room, or altering the microphone placement in relation to the sax, or changing to a different microphone, then you need music software to enhance the quality of the sax recording.

The only other way to improve the sound quality of the sax recording is by changing the setup on the sax, the setup is very important. A tuner will always show the sax is in tune regardless of what type of setup is used on a sax. listening with your ears while someone is playing the sax will tell difference in how good a setup (mouthpiece, reed and ligature) is and will show how good or bad the sound is.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.