Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Tip Opening

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Frank Basamania
    Participant

What happens when you go to a larger tip opening? Will it be harder in general? Will it be louder, etc.

john
      Keymaster

yes, it will feel harder because now you need more air and control, and yes it will give you a bigger louder sound. It will take getting used to so give the new setup a chance, as you start being able to control it more your sound will start to improve.

Frank Basamania
        Participant

Thanks,Johnny.
          I’m playing a 73 now, if I jump to a 100 is that too much a leap or doesn’t it matter that much?

Patrick Reolon
          Participant

Frank:
            Jumps allways will mean an adaptation fase (embouchure technique) and is individually, depending on how good your trained on the actual mouthpiece.
            My presonal believe is that a change of more than 20 is a bigger challenge, but depends on your individual traning-situation if it’s easy or a bigger challenge.
            Psychologically minor steps are better so that traning efforts do not exceed.

Some years ago I changed from a Selmer S80C* (.75 opening) to Vandoren T45 (.90). I had several years of good training on the S80, so that change was for me a relief, I suddenly got much more control over my sound, I liked the sound better and I have to admit it didn’tcost me much effort, because I changed reeds too. But before deciding I was able to test 3 or 4 mouthpieces. my local dealer allowed me to take them home for testing purposes, I don’t remember all the choices, butI kept to the T45.

a few months ago I changed from the rubber T45 (.90) to a metal Ottolink 8*(110). This change was a bigger challenge but I honestly don’t know if it was more the material change, the opening or both.

Making it short: If you’re able to test them before buying do it, and try a second option less open.
            When buying new reeds, mouthpieces, or any accessoire for sax, as they are not the cheapest, it’s always best try before buy.
            If you can’t test, depending. If you need it for live situations I’d recommend a smaller step (90 max), like this you garantee that you can use the new mouthpiece with little bit more effort under live-pressure (faster adaptation). If you have unlimited training time I think you can with patience.

Just have in mind: the bigger the jump, the longer adaptation and traing time and more pacience you need, as you invest more exercise time in your new embouchure technique and sound and less in fingerings.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.