Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Lessons To Bite or Not To Bite?

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    saxomonica
    Participant

i think i might be insane somedays but anyway and hey i can’t use my palm keys and side bars without swinging offa my teeth anyways
      i’m gonna try without for a while to see how it sounds as an excercise in lateral reasoning, oral resonance and saxual progression

Anonymous

Keep your hair on chaps, i’m just saying, and i repeat what i am saying, for those of you that are not reading properly
        and jumping to the wrong conclusion… i will often play some keys with no teeth on the sax to get a different sound effect.
        I obviously live on a different planet that talks garbage. I’m always into experimentation, looking for new sound effects,
        there are no rules set in stone..

RRBirdman
        Participant

Thank you for you replies.
          Well like I stated I can play both ways so I just practiced about 2 hours and made it a point to try to keep my teeth touching the patch most of the time
          It was very comfortable by the time I was done. Not sure I could hear a difference when I played into the wall but may try recording myself just to see. All I know is If Johnny plays that way and flails around the way he does and can keep his teeth on the mouthpiece I guess I can too standing still in my little room. If it gets me anywhere close to his tone someday it would be worth it!

saxomonica
          Participant

As @michael has kindly earlier pointed out most importantly opening the oral cavity mindfully gives us manifold tonal effects and flair even if we are only hanging in there by the skin of our teeth, say.

Topical recent link herewith FYI being from Big Dave, check it out –

Anonymous

and how does one open the oral cavity?

By lowering the jaw or taking the top teeth off the mouthpiece.
              So by using your jaw gives you the tonal effects.

If you can open your oral cavity without moving your jaw,
              its a scientific miracle…

Anyway its like saying do you use your legs to walk,
              or do you use your brain to walk…it doesnt matter,
              who cares, the main thing is we all stagger from a to b via c..

lifes too short.. have fun on the sax

brother cavefish
              Participant

well to each his own, i dont teeth all over my sax or bit my lips and i can go all over the place on the tenor sax, bend, growl, and use a 8- 10 tips,
                so however it works , enjoy the music

saxomonica
                Participant

4 sure @Brother Cavefish ‘n @sxpoet

and @RRBirdman

@Peter
                  and @Michael Bishop

to each to their own – “there is no disputing about tastes”.

So. For beginners and not so intermediate players, in the final analysis –

“if you are playing with your top teeth off the mp then it’s totally wrong. I’ve talked to several people who do that. they never had a lesson with a real teacher….if they had that;’s the first thing the teacher would have said to them. you must have your top teeth firmly on the top of the mp. it’s impossible to develop any kid of sound that way… change up right away!”

( Thanking you for the clarification, sound advice and tolerance – and hey Cheers @Johnny )

sings Jr Walker and the Allstars, ‘what does it take’
                  thatsa big bugsbunny roger romeo ten four

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.