Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? Unable to reach high E and F using the High-F key (YTS-23)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Marc
    Participant

Hi, folks…
      Please allow me to steal a minute of your time posting a doubt that worries me.
      This is something I was rounding my head, but was afraid to ask. I wasn’t quite sure it was me or my instrument.
      I have never achieved something even similar to a correct sound using the High-F key (named X in drawings somewhere in this website). That key is located right above the B key, on the left hand and is operated with the left index too. Please, do not confuse with the High F# key which is down near the right pinky keys, the YTS-23 doesn’t feature it.
      I do play correctly the upmost notes (E an F) on my Yamaha YTS-23 using the left palm keys and the right hand side key 1 (plus the mandatory octave key, of course). Those sound properly, well pitched, I even can play them diminuendo until some certain piano (soft) tone, before fading out. At first, I could only play F coming up from D, Eb and E, but after certain time practising, I can even hit the F straigt away.
      But when I try the other two combinations of keys, which involve the X key and the A (key 2, left middle finger) or A and G (key 3, left ring finger) sound is an awful, noisy squeak… 🙁

During the first days of my learning process I was convinced it was me, just maybe my embouchure wasn’t the adequate or my air flow not solid enough… I even couldn’t achieve a good sound playing that notes using the palm keys combination by that time… My “altissimo” bar was just lowered down to C# (only octave key pressed), and I had discarded higher notes, to be learnt later.

Now that I know I can play them using palm keys, questions arise about whether my tenor’s High-F key could be wrong.

Anyone have experienced this case? Comments welcome.

Best.
      Marc.

john
      Keymaster

That high F fingering is called the forked F. I find it works great as an alternative to playing that high F with the palm keys. If you can’t hit this F it could be a problem with your sax. Hard to tell when I can’t see and hear you attempting it.

Marc
        Participant

Hi Johnny, and thanks for your input.
          I scrutinize even the tiniest corner of my sax. I know every key, post, hinge and spring almost by heart. Being an engineer I’m kinda maniac* to know how every gadget works, much more if it’s mechanic, i.e. visible and tangible.

I couldn’t find any broken, bent or loose key or key stem. All pads sit flat without air leaks (this was checked using the light inside the body). Fortunately I could contact a friend, alto player and music teacher in my city, who will be visiting me on monday. Although his sax is not a Yamaha, he surely will be able to tell, at least by trying to play forked F, whether it’s a “hardware” or “user” problem… 🙂

*I am compiling an Excel table showing all finger keys versus all tone holes, with explanations about every action that takes place when a key (or normal combination) is done. As soon as I polish it a bit, I could send it to anyone interested. It only covers the YTS-23, since I made it examining the only sax I have access to, but I imagine -if Mr. Adolf Sax design is still honored by today’s manufacturers- it could apply to any tenor, perhaps with minor adaptations.

Regards.
          Marc.

john
          Keymaster

Nice Marc, that would be great. You would make a very good saxophone technician!
            My first worry was a leak but if you say you put the light into it then it can be something else.
            try this exercise: play middle C to F a few times to get the interval into your brain. then play high C to F using the fork fingering (make sure your are fingering the notes before blowing).
            when we can hear the note we are going for it is easier to make it come out right, maybe this can further help you to decide if it’s a problem with you or the sax.

Marc
            Participant

Hey… I’ve just finished my daily practice and rushed onto my laptop to get in the forum and tell you… guess what?
              I could! I finally achieved high E and F using the fork-key or X-key or whatever it’s called 🙂 🙂 🙂

After several attempts, and being well aware it could not be a sax problem but something I myself was doing wrong, I finally got to sound F (X and middle finger) and then E (X, middle and ring finger). Curiously the highest tone came earlier than the lower.

So… problem was weak mouth pressure on the reed and lack of air. When I hit centered, strong and consistent, sound appeared. Now I have to practice the fingering, since I had got used to the palm keys and these movements are totally new for me 🙂

Glad to know my register just expanded a few notes LOL.

john
              Keymaster

Yes Marc, the lack of air support in that range is a common problem. I have a lesson on just that in the blog. you can see it here:

High Notes on Your Sax Sound Thin & Flat?

Marc
                Participant

Perfect, Teacher!
                  Pity I hadn’t found that article earlier… maybe I was so scared with the words “high notes” or “altissimo” that I inadvertedly passed it over. Now I’ll watch it thoroughly and practise every detail you describe. Excellent for the “neighbour-annoy” weekend practice. LOL 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.