Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Premium Access Membership unavailable parts in premium membership

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Martin Pavíček
    Participant

Hi Johnny, you really did a great deal of work, but I’d like to write to you the following:

1. video in “Eee-Ahh, A Tone Improving Exercise” (https://www.howtoplaysaxophone.org/pa-eee-ahh/) is unavailable, i get response “AccessDenied”
      2. In the “Welcome to the Tone Development Section” (https://www.howtoplaysaxophone.org/pa-tone-development/), Altissimo Course you write “The Altissimo Course will be available in 61 days” 🙁
      3. Under “Major Scale Improvisation Course” in the “Improvisation Course” (https://www.howtoplaysaxophone.org/pa-improvisation/), you write “The Major Scale Improvisation Course will be available in 34 days” 🙁
      4. In the “repertoire” section (https://www.howtoplaysaxophone.org/pa-repertoire/) you write “You can download up to 4 songs per month”. There are only 12 songs in the offer, while 5 songs i have from you from the past.
      Item 1. is probably a small bug you fix. But from points 3 + 4 I’m sad – on the premium membership page (https://www.howtoplaysaxophone.org/premium/) you write that “Inside Your Membership” will be the altissimo range as well as the Major Scale Improvisation Course, but then what I paid for my membership so I do not have it :-(.
      I think fair would be a warning at least when people decide whether to pay or not to pay membership.
      Are there any other parts that are not yet available to premium members?

Martin

Anonymous

The monthly membership rules are fair, otherwise anyone could sign up for one month only and download everthing in one go, and never come back.
        If it was a yearly membership, then that might be more acceptable.
        I would expect teething problems early on.

I think the monthly membership, means Johnny can now focus more on the day to day interaction with the website and give more feed back. Which is a lot of work for one person, other websites often have a couple moderators full time to keep things running smoothly in terms of the non-musical side.

For me i joined 4yrs ago, bought and downloaded everything, so it works out better for me just to buy any new stuff when it comes out. Lack of feed back from uploading stuff from other members in the past needs to be addressed in order to keep people staying on here, unless they dont want certain individuals on here – however i feel the monthly membership will cover that better than in the past.

john
        Keymaster

Hi Martin, thanks for the heads up….yes, like I said in the email yesterday there are still a few tweeks and that video was simply having not clicked a button to make it available. we’ve been changing all videos to a different faster-loading format for better performance and it simply got unchecked.

as for the other things, yes, it’s all available to you but you can’t join up for $19 download everything and run. if that was your intent I can see why you’re disappointed.

Songs
          there are several songs to access there right away, along with several more songs which include the “how to play” tutorial videos. Then, you have the request form which allows you to request 4 songs every month. That’s a pretty good workout for anyone who truly wants to work and learn a song. If you can master more than that email me and tell me so and I’ll forward you more. Like I said, this is in place for people, (probably not you) but I think i made the point.

Improve Course
          same thing here, but also, most people starting to improvise will jump into everything at once and fail because they’re over their heads. You have the introduction improve lessons, followed by the Killer blues course to learn in your first month. Then the Major scale course becomes available next month…..is that too long to wait? I think most people will spend longer than a month on the first improve lessons.

Altissimo
          same thing here as well but even more so because this is over the heads of students that have only a few months experience and more work on basics needs to happen before getting into harmonics and false fingerings. Proper fingerings and proper breathing techniques first. so, waiting 2 months for this is probably still too soon.

Now think of this… you paid 19 dollars!!!

you’re looking at the small picture…What you’re probably over-looking is that this is a new thing I’ve just set up which is were I’m going to focus all my time on with all content being put on there. In short, $19 is nothing for what you’re going to get…

…considering the few new lessons and other things that are on there you’ve already got more than your money’s worth. do you realize that if you buy 4 of my songs every month it will cost you around $32?

But you made a good point, this is all not clear on the info page, which I may try to more properly clarify.

Meanwhile, enjoy the existing content, more good stuff is on the way. Of course if you are really pissed off and don’t want this I am happy to refund your money.

Martin Pavíček
          Participant

Johnny, I understand you, and I admit that for $ 19, there’s really a lot of goodies for me. Just here is not everything what I was hoping for ….. and I did not count on the “landing page” what will be available right now and what after some “waiting time” (but you say you will correct – OK) .

But for the songs: the advice “you have the request form that you ask for 4 songs every month” does not suit me. Sometimes I can see the notes and find out that I can not actually play it. E.g. in the past, I got the careless whisper for the alto from you (note transcript + backing track), but when I got your notes from you, I just saw that I can not play it – you use altissimo that I can not manage yet, and the low “A” on my alt saxophone can not play.

One more note. You write “we’ve been changing all the videos to a different faster-loading format”: it’s best for me to place videos on youtube – because here I can play automatically generated subtitles, a total transcript of what you say, and even automatic translation (which is imperfect, but it allows me to get the main message from your videos despite my bad English). If you’re planning to move your videos somewhere else, your lessons will become much less usable for me. Yes, it’s just my problem – but maybe there are more people who do not understand well English.

Johnny, I’m writing again that I think you’ve done a lot of work, and I wish you only the best things.

Martin

saxomonica
            Participant

Hiya @Keymaster !

just to advise haven’t got any Emails advising me how to get Premium Access Membership ie sad to relate
              i can see the How to Play Saxophone.org logo LHS top has now crept over the old Home button, and
              when i hit Premium Access on that same headliner i get –

“To complete your registration, please select one of the two options:

New members, please click here.
              Existing members, please fill in the form below to complete
              your Free application.”

wtf i am already an existing member with free application i might be heard to mutter under my breath
              lol
              bad tempered old bastard i can be
              explanations become excuses

Hmm tried to sign up being more than a coupla times now but can’t
              Hey i guess itsa techy thang??
              Hoping things have a habit of working out.
              Others like me wanna most likely get with the program. Whoo hoo!!

‘The rewards of patience, is more patience’. Is it not?

Said Thomas A. Edison, restlessness and discontent are the necessities of progress.

Shine on Johnny :-0

Cheers Mark

saxomonica
              Participant

ooh ooh thanx @Martin Pavíček i just clicked on one of the links you evers so kindly provided and now i can get on as a founding member yee ha!! 🙂

Louis
                Participant

I am actually glad it is set up in this manner. As much as I would love to just skip through to things like altissimo and improvisation, sometimes starting on the first page of the book is the way to go, no matter how good you are.

I have been playing for nearly 20 years now, and could skip through beginning topics, but I’m not going to. The reason? I could have missed learning something 20 years ago that has affected my way of playing. Learning something small can have a huge improvement in your playing. And knowing Johnny’s content, even the most basic lesson will have something valuable to learn from no matter how seasoned of a horn player you are. Plus it is a nice refresher on the basics.

I’m happy it is set up like this, so I do not rush myself or make shortcuts, and learn more than I have known before.

Thanks,

Louie from Baltimore.

Anonymous

you’re lucky saxo! i thought the early membership, was just for people like myself, who have been round a lot longer, and bought a lot of the stuff already. lol

john
                    Keymaster

I guess no matter how many emails I send out someone will miss one!
                      I sent out the first announcement to all members explaining what was coming. then directed those interested to the early-bird sign up page so as not to keep bothering the general free membership list about it. I even resent it to those that were new over he last couple months leaving out this 2nd email to the main list…still I see that some missed it, so my apologies saxomonica but I really tried!

Anyway, we learn as we go and things can change if need be.

@Louis
                      , that’s exactly what I said in the premium welcome video… everyone start from the beginners green box because there are probably still basic techniques even intermediate players are not 100% on and so why skip ahead?

@Martin
                      , thanks and of course I’m hoping for the best for you! You may have misunderstood about the videos….re-uploading them doesn’t mean the will end up in a different place, just means their file size has been reduced with the same quality which means the streaming will be fast so you don’t wait those extra 4 or 5 seconds for the streaming to catch up. Hope that makes sense.

If there is a low A on any sax chart of mine then it’s a mistake I overlooked. I often run into this and make sure to replace it with a suitable note so I’ll look into that one and correct it.
                      Everytime I play an altissimo part I notate it at the normal range and put the 8va sign above it which means it was actually played an octave higher. This way anyone who can’t play altissimo can still play the right notes an octave lower.

Simon
                      Participant

I think this premium membership is great, a lot of stuff to go thru,actualy there is for about for 6 month exercises and songs + request for 4 more songs. For me it’s very good price for what all you get and take in count that this is unique site. nowehere you can’t find song with backing tracks and demo like this. So i really like this site. And Johnny and his recordings and videos are great inspiration for me. Any new beginners songs in future Johnny? Or maybe beginner version of songs that you already made? I have usualy problems with fast tempos, so something slower,simple and beutifull would be nice:))))).

Have a nice day everyone,

Simon

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.