Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Unpredicted squarking sounds

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Reg Hite
    Participant

Hi Johnny, I started playing the Tenor Saxophone 2 months ago and according to my teacher I am doing very well. The one problem I still seem to face from time to time is a note played producing a squarking sound as opposed to the required sound. I happens more often when I move up from a first octive C or B to the second octive D. This is usually when I need to apply the octive key. I have tried different a Embrochure and just when I think that I have solved the problem, bang there it happens again. This affects my playing fast tunes more because it is guarenteed to happen. Do you have any advise for me for this problem.

john
      Keymaster

Sounds like you’re dealing with the dreaded octave key break. I have an exercise for this in my “How To Play The Saxophone” book. It’s basically an exercise that hovers around this” octave break” which is C# to D in the 2nd octave.

Practise where the break actually happens wich is those 2 notes, back and forth, up a few, down a few. You’ll notice the hard part is at this break and you need to adjust your embouchure and make sure you’re hitting the proper fingerings in time as well, because if you’re late it won’t happen.

Reg Hite
        Participant

Thanks for the advice, I will apply this during my practice regime. Since I wrote you, I made another discovery which I believe is also causing this problem and that is around the 3 palm keys under the left hand. These keys have got such much leverage which makes them so sensitive that if I just slightly rest against them, they tend to open slightly which also causes this sqarking sound. I am now conciously keeping my left hand clear of them when not using them and this seems to have solved the problem.

john
          Keymaster

Yes that would certainly do it! Good thing you discovered the problem.

Reg Hite
            Participant

Hi Johnny, is there any chance that you and your band will come and perform in Cape Town South Africa anytime soon? We have a big Jazz following and you will enjoy it here.

john
              Keymaster

Sounds exciting but I have no contacts there to put that together.

Reg Hite
                Participant

It’s a pity as Cape Town is a great city to visit and we have some great venues where many bands perform. Another Sax question. As you know I have taken up sax 4months ago and loving it. I am still finding difficulty with some of my tone mainly with my lower register. I play a tenor sax and moved from a 1.5 to a 2 reed a month ago but I still have the problem when I blow a bit hard playing the 1st octave notes the sound produced is in the 2nd octave without the octave key being pressed. Do you think that I should move to a 3 reed instead?

john
                  Keymaster

Not sure, but I would check the pad on your octave key. This is the one on the neck, if it doesn’t sit on the hole properly it can create a leak big enough to give you the problem you are describing. To check it yourself initially, play a note with your left hand in the range you have the problem, then press it down with the other hand while playing the note and see if this helps. It may even be a leak elsewhere so I would get it checked. As for jumping reed sizes maybe go to a 2.5 first…3 is a big leap from 2. Somehow I’m not 100% convinced that is your problem though.

Reg Hite
                    Participant

Hi Johnny
                      What is your view with regards to synthetic reeds?

john
                      Keymaster

there’s a few posts on that in the reeds section and I wrote a review and video on the subject.
                        I don’t use them. They have their upside which is always ready to play,last longer etc but when it comes right down to it nothing gives you the quality of a good cane reed when it’s in good shape.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 55 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.