Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Unpredicted squarking sounds

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Reg Hite
    Participant

Hi Johnny
      Do you make extensive use of overtones during your solos ?

john
      Keymaster

Yes I do. The really high register we call the altissimo is made possible by using overtones as these are not actual saxophone notes…that is anything above the normal high F#.

Reg Hite
        Participant

Hi Johnny
          Next month it will be a year now that I am playing the SAX. I have enjoyed each and every day playing the sax and its been the best thing that has happened to me. I have sorted out the problems above and in December 2013 I bought myself and OTTO LInk number 7 mouth piece and that has made all the difference to my tone.
          I bought and downloaded the four love songs you compiled and I have mastered them very well except ” Just the way you are”. I can play the entire tune except the full solo. Here I still need to work more at it and hopefully when your Altissimo course becomes available, I will be able to learn the high G and A required for this solo.
          One request I would like to suggest and that is if you can put together the music and backing track for “When a man loves a woman” it is such a classic tune to play with a Sax.
          Cheers
          Reg

john
          Keymaster

That’s great stuff Reg, thanks for the update!
            For now, just really learn the solo playing that altissimo part an octave lower so when you can get up there it will come a lot easier. Remember, the solo on Just the Way you are was taken note for note from the original solo which is an alto solo, I had to work very hard to nail that too on the tenor…nasty range there!.
            I agree with your song suggestion and think I probably can’t avoid that great song and admit I have thought about doing it and so it’s just a matter of time right now.
            cheers
            Johnny

Reg Hite
            Participant

Hi Johnny, Listening to the music videos you have posted on your website, I notice that you have a sort of raspy tone which sounds really great. Do you hum at the same time as you blow into the horn to achieve that tone?

Reg Hite
              Participant

Hi Johnny, Listening to the music videos you have posted on your website, I notice that you have a sort of raspy tone which sounds really great. Do you hum at the same time as you blow into the horn to achieve that tone?

john
                Keymaster

I don’t hum when playing straight but I do bring it in and out at different degrees when I want to growl or get slightly raspier…it can be very subtle to really extreme.

Reg Hite
                  Participant

Until now I have been holding back because I have always been aware of the neighbors and the people living in my house with me. In fact they should not even be here. I have now got this uncontolable urge to unleash the beast, The Tenor Sax needs to express its voice and tonight I did just that. I growled and even managed to get the rolling tong rignt while practicing some of my blues licks. I really wish I had my own sound proof room but I have to wait until they move out so that I can take over that room.
                    I am concidering purchasing the Peter Gunn backing track of yours as this is a great tune to really let it go but what I need to know is, do you need to go into the Altissimo range in this tune, if so then I need to wait until I have done your course on playing the Altissimo range.

john
                    Keymaster

ya, that’s a good one for rockin out for sure. whether I used altissimo on my video versions or not, I always include the lower octave notes so those who can’t get up there yet can still play through the chart. Can’t remember what I did on that one but since it’s a rocker I peobably hit at least one really screamin high note.

Reg Hite
                      Participant

Hi Johnny, I really like your interpretation of ” Rock around the Clock” it came out in the year I was born and is still a hit today. I can’t wait to see what you are going to bring out on the next 3 Rock & Roll numbers.
                        Talking about Rockin, tonight my son and I are going to a Santana concert here in Cape Town and I am really looking forward to some classic Latin rock.
                        Keep rockin, I love the sound of your Sax, your the man.

regards
                        Reg

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 55 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.