Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? Upper notes D# and higher are flat on tenor; ideas/tips?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

hi Johnny, hope you’re having a good summer. despite my best efforts at tightening up my embouchure, my upper palm key notes are all flat; hi D# thru F#… its me not the sax, my yts62/otto link sounds great with notes up to a or b, then I’m really flat above that. any tips? much appreciated! 🙂

I’m trying to play like stuart m on Sade’s ‘is it a crime’; great solo if i can get those upper notes sounding on pitch

john
      Keymaster

Yes check my blog section there is a lesson video on just that
        I can’t put the link here as I’m not on my computer

jake
        Participant
          Mel
          Participant

Nice Song Jazz Cat!

Jazz Cat
            Participant

thanks; found it; good tips, will try

brother cavefish
              Participant

i have sen you do this figuring, for your higher octave, the g and a finger pressing down, leaving off the b finger and maybe the high d side key what is this

john
                Keymaster

not sure which note you mean, let me know where in the video it is.

john
                  Keymaster

Has any body found a sax mouthpiece patch/cushion that lasts more than 30 minutes of playing? I tend to bite through the thickest vandoren mouthpiece cushions.

Anonymous

Wow – i would change your embouchure. If you are biting that hard, that will tense up your air flow and make it harder to keep a steady pitch.

Try to start with a double embouchure ie top lip curled under top teeth, bottom lip curled over bottom teeth. Place mouthpiece on bottom lip and then lower upper lip onto top of mouthpiece – then push the top lip out of the way with the top teeth coming down and resting on the mouthpiece.

This results in a flat even tensed horizontal bottom lip which will give a firm steady pitch, then with the top teeth resting on the mouthpiece, seal off the mouthpiece with the rest of the top lip. Your embouchure lips have should now have a firm seal around the mouthpiece – start blowing, and gently increase the pressure by pushing the bottom lip up.

This is where you fill your stomach with a decent amount of air, and pull your stomach in firmly to increase the air pressure on the mouthpiece, so the stomach pressure is more in use, rather than using a lot of air pressure in your mouth. The more air pressure you use in your mouth may result in you biting more to control a steady pitch, whereas you can take a lot of pressure off the mouth, if you use your stomach to control the pressure instead.

this probably wont help, but it’s worth a try.

john
                      Keymaster

Thanks sxpoet. I’ll try the double embouchure. Here’d JB on the subject.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E48GB6WqA-E and David Liebman on the subject https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROPRATRrGjA I do have a sharp incisor that cuts into the mpc pad

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.