Home Forums Problems With Your Sax? Upper notes D# and higher are flat on tenor; ideas/tips?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by brother cavefish brother cavefish 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jazz Cat
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

hi Johnny, hope you’re having a good summer. despite my best efforts at tightening up my embouchure, my upper palm key notes are all flat; hi D# thru F#… its me not the sax, my yts62/otto link sounds great with notes up to a or b, then I’m really flat above that. any tips? much appreciated! 🙂

I’m trying to play like stuart m on Sade’s ‘is it a crime’; great solo if i can get those upper notes sounding on pitch

saxjohnny
    saxjohnny
    Keymaster

Yes check my blog section there is a lesson video on just that
    I can’t put the link here as I’m not on my computer

jake
    jake
    Participant
    Mel
    Mel
    Participant

Nice Song Jazz Cat!

Jazz Cat
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

thanks; found it; good tips, will try

brother cavefish
    brother cavefish
    Participant

i have sen you do this figuring, for your higher octave, the g and a finger pressing down, leaving off the b finger and maybe the high d side key what is this

saxjohnny
    saxjohnny
    Keymaster

not sure which note you mean, let me know where in the video it is.

William Cingolani
    Participant

Has any body found a sax mouthpiece patch/cushion that lasts more than 30 minutes of playing? I tend to bite through the thickest vandoren mouthpiece cushions.

sxpoet
    Participant

Wow – i would change your embouchure. If you are biting that hard, that will tense up your air flow and make it harder to keep a steady pitch.

Try to start with a double embouchure ie top lip curled under top teeth, bottom lip curled over bottom teeth. Place mouthpiece on bottom lip and then lower upper lip onto top of mouthpiece – then push the top lip out of the way with the top teeth coming down and resting on the mouthpiece.

This results in a flat even tensed horizontal bottom lip which will give a firm steady pitch, then with the top teeth resting on the mouthpiece, seal off the mouthpiece with the rest of the top lip. Your embouchure lips have should now have a firm seal around the mouthpiece – start blowing, and gently increase the pressure by pushing the bottom lip up.

This is where you fill your stomach with a decent amount of air, and pull your stomach in firmly to increase the air pressure on the mouthpiece, so the stomach pressure is more in use, rather than using a lot of air pressure in your mouth. The more air pressure you use in your mouth may result in you biting more to control a steady pitch, whereas you can take a lot of pressure off the mouth, if you use your stomach to control the pressure instead.

this probably wont help, but it’s worth a try.

William Cingolani
    Participant

Thanks sxpoet. I’ll try the double embouchure. Here’d JB on the subject.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E48GB6WqA-E and David Liebman on the subject https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROPRATRrGjA I do have a sharp incisor that cuts into the mpc pad

William Cingolani
    Participant

I ment to type JF on the embouchure subject

sxpoet
    Participant

i’ve watched a lot of youtube videos on embouchure, read a few books on the subject as well. There are lots of different oppinions on how you should embouchure. Trouble is facial anatomy varies from person to person – Chins can be pointed, round, flat (vary in width by inches) . Lips can be wide, very wide, extremely wide (thin thick etc) and the distance between the bottom of the nose and the chin can vary in height . So taking that into account, what one video might recomend may not be suited to your face, like some say form a nice circle with the lips, others say keep both lips flat etc.. some say use less lower lip, others say take in more mouthpiece,
    Your facial anatomy dictates what you can and can’t do.

For me i can’t physically do certain types of embouchures, my four bottom teeth are very sharp and they can easily cut into my bottom lip if i’m not careful. But it’s worth trying out all the variations you come across.
    Whatever you choose, you’ll know you have the right one, when you can play low Bb to high F# without changing have to change lip pressure drastically.

However, if you are a Pro, then you can sing the tone, ie low notes loose bottom lip, high notes more bottom lip pressure where the bottom lip pressure corresponds exactly how you sing in different registers.

good luck

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.