Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Warming up on a metal mouthpiece compared to a plastic/rubber

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Dazza
    Participant

Interesting Paddy. I have a box of Lavos and cant get a sound out of them. Bought a box of Java Reds and also Rico Jazz and didn’t like either. I have quite a collection of new (once used) reeds building up! The Royals are instantly the best playing I have found so far for me. Can’t explain that.

paddy jordan
      Participant

you should see my collection.now and again i pull new reed out and give it a go but no luck there just yet.

Dazza
        Participant

So I have persisted the past few weeks just playing the Otto Link and find now that I definitely cant go back to the Meyer. Just cant get enough air through it as it feels too constricted. I am liking the sound I am getting from the metal MP and only squeaks every now and then when I get lazy. I am just about ready to record and upload Fly Me so hopefully it sounds to you as good as I reckon it does. Hey Michael – Performing in front of 200 guests at our monthly roast night next week. Performing Fly Me, Over the Rainbow, Goodnight Sweetheart, and Can’t Help Falling and maybe Amazing Grace. I can mostly play all these from memory now so it really improves the confidence when you can do that. I am filming the session which falls between sets a Jazz Trio are playing on the night. They have invited me to play I’m In The Mood For Love with them so that will be cool. I hope it goes well and it has forced me to practice even longer each day so hope the nerves settle! Keep you all posted when ready to post!

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Hi Dazza,
            Sorry for missing your video that you posted back in August here under this post with your Otto Link/few squeaks…shame on me LOL but I’ve been very, very busy getting ready for upcoming stuff here locally. That’s totally awesome to hear you playing in front of all those guests too! Very, very happy for you 🙂 You have to do us ALL a favor and film it or something….just do yourself a favor and hold off from eating any of that roast until after you’re done with your playing! I’ll be the first to admit that’s easier said than done–seeing all that good food in front of us LOL But we’re not doing ourselves any personal favors by picking up the Sax with bellies full of food…that’s a bad combination LOL 🙂
            I think you should definately stick with that Otto Link. When switching from an MP like a Meyer and we start using a new MP like a metal MP, it naturally takes some time getting used to it. So of course there’s naturally going to be a few squeaks here-and-there in the beginning. But looking at that video, it’s nothing that some consistent practice on it won’t fix. When we get those squeaks, it can possibly be from air “leaking” from the side of our mouths in relation to our embouchure. When he have the MP in our mouths, we want to have a good “seal” around the MP if you get my meaning. If you can play those great tunes by Memory, that’s awesome and you’ll find that you can play so much more “freely” if you get my meaning. People at big gatherings like that really love it when they see someone moving about, playing in their midst, right in front of them, etc.. That will certainly do wonders for your confidence like you mention. Remember this video Johnny shared with us of this little 12-year-old guy ripping it up on Tenor Sax? How much more do we think the people watching someone play love it when they see someone playing about freely like this? Not to mention how much fun it can be 🙂

Anonymous

Dazza – looking forward to hearing more uploads from you🎷

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.