Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Tips What’s your setup

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    sxpoet
    Participant

i’m a frustrated recorder mainly because i don’t have single room in the house where i can leave all the recording equipment setup, so for me the only option is to spend half an hour getting everything out and setting it up, and then spend another half hour putting everything away – and to do that everyday when i practice leaves me less time to practice. Not to mention more time spent manipulating the recorded tracks in the software to produce the final file for uploading. So anyone who takes time out to upload their recordings deserves a CLAP for effort as they have put a lot of time and work into to showcasing their stuff.

Bear in mind, a home set up wont compare to a professional recording studio, but saying that todays choice of recording equipment has put a lot of small time recording studios out of business – so the home user equipment has vastly improved.

i have two recording setups – one for instant playback of a tune i’m working on, which doesn’t involve using software, any hand held recording device on the market does the job – the other setup is for the final recording, which involves setting up equipment which uses a modest microphone with either (computer software + audio interface) or (digital multitrack recorder).

I alternate between using a (computer with logic pro) or using a (multitrack recorder), there’s no difference in the output quality of either setups, it’s the type of microphone that makes the difference.

if i want to spend a lot less time fiddling about with recording software then i use the multitrack recorder – i’m almost tempted to get a hand held multitrack recorder as they have a microphone built in, software built which is ideal for quick playback recordings.

Wayne Galtier
      Participant

Hi sxpoet,,,,I read your post and wonder,,,,You must have a computer to use logic pro,,,and therefore you must have a work desk or station for your computer and speakers. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. It has a usb connection to the computer and the size is remarkable. I have it on my small desktop hooked to my computer. The Scarlett is roughly 5-1/2 inches wide about 3-1/2 deep and about 2 inch or less high. It does not take up any space hardly at all and it works great!! I use Audacity DAW program. The only other item is my microphone,,,a shure model 58 and a microphone stand. That is the only thing I can say that takes up a small space. You could hook up the focusrite and leave it on your desk. All you would have to do then is get your sax out of the case and play. I can load a backing track into Audacity and practice at any time. No set up time. Go to focusrite.com and look at the Scarlett 2i2 or any of the other offerings for audio interface. Focusrite is a great product and mine was only $180.00 when I bought it. It is a second generation version and they have newer 3rd and 4th generation. Mine has two inputs of either instrument or microphone, monitor output ports and a headset port in the front. Also includes 48V phantom power for condenser mics. Hope this helps you. As a minimum this arrangement can be left out and not visually bothersome or space taking.

Wayne

sxpoet
        Participant

Hi Wayne, appreciate the feedback, but unfortunately i don’t have anywhere in my house that i can leave my stuff out.

When i record, I have to put my computer on my bed along side with a clarett 2 pre audio interface (it’s an older audio interface with thunderbolt connection and midi connection), i put the microphone stand next to the bed, then i have to connect all the cables etc, afterwards i have to put it all away as i have to sleep on the bed at night.

My Tascam Dp03sd 8 track digital portastudio takes up less space than a computer using the audio interface and has the same sound quality that i get if i use my computer with logic pro. With a digital portastudo, you dont need a computer, you can listen to the backing track through headphones while you play and record the sax. I don’t even have speakers (monitors) to listen back, i use headphones instead. The only time i need the computer is to upload to the internet.

Wayne Galtier
          Participant

It appears that you have resolved to the best approach for your situation. Sorry I was of no help there. I maybe wrong but I sense you are a seasoned musician. I give you a “Clap” for ignoring the space situation and using creative thinking to overcome the issue. That is determination! By todays standard a home setup is super advanced as to what it used to be.

Enjoyed forum chat with you. Let me know of any post you may have done on recordings. I am 77 yrs old and just recently blew the dust off of my sax in the closet and started playing again. I post my humble recordings on youtube. If you want to hear any of the 4 that I have posted just go to youtube and search WAYNE GALTIER. It will bring you directly to my videos. Just click on my icon pic and the songs will be listed.

Best to you,

Wayne

Jeff
            Participant

Hi James

Good to see you are still playing.

You could do what I do and place all the recording equipment in a suitcase.
              It could even be wired up so you just open it up and plug in the mains and you’re ready to GOGO.

Cheers
              Jeff

Jeff
              Participant

I spoilt myself and bought a YAS62. It it 200g heavier than my YAS26 and has a more mellow sound.
                I played my YAS26 with a 1,9mm MP but discovered that the YAS62 is more free blowing and I didn’t have enough wind power to spare.
                I had to go back to a narrow gap MP and I’ve only just moved back to a Selmer C**.
                Isn’t it strange how another Yamaha Alto can be so different to play?
                Cheers
                Jeff

sxpoet
                Participant

Hi Wayne,
                  i started learning the Alto sax 10 years ago, and i’m not as good a player as you are, i’ve listened to your 4 uploads on youtube, and they are well played.
                  Keep up the good work!

sxpoet
                  Participant

Hi Jeff,
                    good to hear you are still playing the sax.
                    You’ll have to do some more uploads.

sxpoet
                    Participant

@jeff
                      my sister-in-law is near to you, she’s on a safari tour. I should have given her some music books to pass on to you. never mind, a lot quicker than posting them.

sxpoet
                      Participant

@jeff
                        my sister-in-law is back home now, she had nice time in SA

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.