Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Tips What’s your setup

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jeff
    Participant

Hi James

It’s good to hear of someone enjoying South Africa.

I have a tech question for you. How would you set up a microphone if there is a distance of 12m between a microphone and the sound system?
      What would you buy? USB can only cover 5m, so I guess it would have to be a XLR setup?

Cheers
      Jeff (working on Largo etudes)

sxpoet
      Participant

hi @jeff

xlr cables would be better, so yes, you would need an xlr mic

https://www.cablematters.com/Blog/USB-C/usb-cable-max-length

RockinRobin
        Participant

My set up today.
          A long long time ago I bought a silver goose neck for my tenor. Yesterday I put the silver goose neck on the horn. Sound was a lot better. My practice songs this week are “Always On My Mind”. Practice notes are low C# low B. I’m using my MB Fatboy and a ligature that came with one of the MB mouth pieces. I think Johnny blows straight 8ths instead of swinging 8ths when he plays “Always On My Mind”. So I’m getting a lot of practice with my silver goose neck and my MB fatboy. Also I’m blowing “All Time High” and “For The Good Times”. Cheers
          William

Jeff
          Participant

Hi James, I had a look at the focusrite solo option, but my USB Mic will work fine until when I get to record again. I’ve transposed a number of Largos and Larghettos from my Baroque CD’s I have acquired. Corelli, Tellerman, Bach and various other composers. As usual I just called them Largo and forgot to place the composers name on the sheet, so who knows who they are from now. Perhaps it’s caused by global warming? One is called La Folio by Corelli.

I’ve moved up to your C++ Selmer MP from the TW H2O and decided to get a BF ligature for my altos. Our local supplier didn’t have an Alto BG lig so I figured a Bb Clarinet would work as well and does it indeed. I played it today and was blown away by the change in sound. My hair is more bouncy, shiney and has far more volume – LOL. My 62 sounds more like a Tenor now, and if I don’t over-tighten the lig it has much more body and soul than the metal lig. What I need now is a few hundred hours of practice to get used to my upgraded Alto. Can a 63y old still play a YAS 62? Cheers Crazy Jeff

sxpoet
            Participant

hi @Jeff,
              That’s funny about the clarinet ligature, weeks ago, i bought a new ligature for my Clarinet, and i when i got home, i compared it to one of my Alto Ligatures – turns out it is the same brand, same make and both are exactly the same. both are designed for classical mouthpieces.

Last year after 9 years of working through various practice books on the sax, i decided that’s it, not doing them anymore, so i had a clear out today, and found about 30 sax music books – that i’m donating to Paul tomorrow, and he can pass them on to his sax students. So i’ll be seeing him tomorrow, probably have a quick chat, if he’s got time, as he’s teaching most of the day.

So my sax collection of music/cd books has now gone down to 33 books. I decided from now on, i’m just going to play popular songs with backing tracks. I have only kept another 5 learning to play sax books which are identical to the 5 learning to play the clarinet books that i have, so i can cross check and compare between both instruments.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.