Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Which Guardella will you be buying?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Now that everyone’s seen JF’s impressive mouthpiece comparison on the Blogg – be interesting to hear which one everyone intends to buy.

i did this research over a year ago and bought this one

http://www.sax.co.uk/guardala-king-alto-sax-mouthpiece-gold-plated.ir

but as i’m only an Alto player with no interest in playing/buying a Tenor – i was very limited in choice, as they are really for Tenors

john
      Keymaster

Was that the one you felt was too bright for you?
        I haven’t tried any of the alto pieces yet but now there is the Studio Fatboy for alto which sounds interesting to me.
        You’re right that Guardala himself didn’t make any models for alto but Nadir is making several models for alto now like the King you mentioned, the Studio and the Studio Fatboy.
        BTW, I noticed the pricing on that UK site, wow quite high compared to the manufacturer’s site. if you consider getting another one talk to me first as I can shave that down for you.

Anonymous

Thanks for making the offer Johnny!

Dazza
          Participant

Listening over and over I reckon for me it will be the MBII. I actually think JF makes it slound better than his original. The tip openings seem a bit scary though but it is the sound I am after ultimately. The differences are slight to my ear and they all are great sounding MP’s.

Kevin
            Participant

Johnny, will you be demoing the 2 Alto MPs?

Michael Bishop
              Participant

Johnny, I was curious between the MBII and the MB Fatboy, did you find one requiring more air support to play than the other? Also about the Studio Fatboy for Alto, do you know if he makes a Studio Fatboy model for Tenor?

john
                Keymaster

I found both of those both the same to play, and I love them both. I guess if someone “made” me pick one I’d go for the Fatboy. Just a little bigger tone all around… I just laid a track with it for the first time and I’ll be putting it up shortly or tomorrow.
                  There is no Studio Fatboy for tenor, just a Studio which is a 7* so slightly smaller tip opening, the others are an 8*.
                  I guess if you’re worried about the opening being to big a jump from where you’re at now the Studio might be better at this point, but I didn’t try a Studio yet so can’t tell you the exact difference from the 4 I got. He says the MBII is Bright, the Studio is Brighter, and the King is Brightest.

john
                  Keymaster

@ Kevin, I’d love to get the alto pieces but can’t promise anything like that yet.
                    I can’t expect to be given every mouthpiece they have right off the bat, matter of fact i paid full price for my first 2.
                    I am developing a relationship with this company so hopefully I can swing something like that down the road…

@ Dazza, I hear ya! in the video I started with those hard rubber mp’s to show how you just can’t get the big bold sound until
                    you move into a bigger tip opening and high baffle if you want it loud and brighter.
                    Like I said to michael above, the Studio is a 7* but anything smaller than that is not gonna do it so at some point you gotta make the jump.
                    You’re not playing on anything much smaller than a 7 are you Dazza?

wayne wojnarowski
                    Participant

Johnnie do I understand this correctly, as of now you cannot get alto MP”S by Guardala ?? When and if you can in Future would you demo them like you did Tenor Presentation, it sounds like you can purchase alto MP’S, from this Nadir person yes? no? what would they cost?

Dazza
                      Participant

JF – I’m blowing a Meyer 7 and often now feel i have much more air to deliver than I can blow through that opening. I reckon I have the technique in my embouchure and good sir support to cope with the jump.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.