Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire You Are The Sunshine Of My Life

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Simon
    Participant

Can’t figure out when 3rd repeat starts. I think there is something missing in sheet music. Or i’m wrong?

john
      Keymaster

there is no 3rd repeat. the chart goes exactly as the video (I was reading from the same chart) unless I’m overlooking something.
        Play as written to the 1st ending, then goes back to top. play again (with the same repeat) but go to 2nd box and from there plays straight thru to the end.
        where are you having a problem?

Simon
        Participant

Bar 28, that’s 7th line has sign for repeat. Don’t know from where to repeat. From beginning?

Anonymous

theirs are some basic rules applied to music sheet, but often different writers have different styles. Look at jazz sheets, the same song can be laid in three different ways and they look completely different.

In general if you don’t know where to jump back, you should assume
            jumping to the top of the sheet. A good idea that lots of PRO’s do
            for very fast music, use different coloured highlighters to show
            where to jump next to while performing live – its called road maps

Simon
            Participant

Ok, so after bar 28 i jump back to beginning and play both repetitions again?

Anonymous

start at the top of the sheet, and play to the end of the 1st box
                start at the top of the sheet, and this time skip over the 1st box
                and play the 2nd box.
                Then play the remaining bars after the 2nd box.
                Stop.

Normally music sheets just have a repeat section, where you just play
                the same section twice, but some sheets you cant repeat the same section
                as the last few bars in the repeat is different, so what they do is
                tack on an extra few bars and label them boxes one and two. Thats how
                they get round a repeat section with a different ending to the first run through.

It helps to mark all the bars in the first box in yellow, and mark the bar at the top of the sheet in yellow, to remind you where to jump to on the sheet, Then when you start playing the same section the second time, ignore all yellow bars in the first box and play all the bars in the second box. That indicates you have played that section of the music sheet twice
                with two different endings and can now carry on playing to the end of the song.

Simon
                Participant

Ok i get it now. Usually there is D.C. mark if i need to play from beginning, that’s why i was lost on this one. Thanks all.

Anonymous

just write it down on the sheet, you’ll be surprised about the amount of stuff that professional players pencil in on their music sheets in an orchestra

john
                    Keymaster

from the 1st box repeats to the 2nd line. not the very begining because that’s the piano intro….was that that the confusion?

Simon
                      Participant

I got it now thanks Johnny. Yeah i didn’t know where to jump from the 1st box.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.