Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone You Belong to Me

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Potter
    Participant

Great backing track John. I did a version on my tenor and alto. I posted the tenor here cause I think it’s the better of two – my alto tone is still a little a nasally. The alto version is on my soundcloud page if you want to compare.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/LGXVqYz76mvWkc9Q7

Pete
      Participant

WOW Mike you got it, loved it as usual*****

RockinRobin
        Participant

Sounds great Mike. Guess I’ll have another Guinness and listen again after i have another Guinness
          William

john
          Keymaster

ya Mike, that’s the tone man!

Pete
            Participant

Mike
              Can you tell us all what your full set up is, like mic. m/p reed, mic, daw, interface etc.
              you have a great sound.

Anonymous

Well played, being an Alto player, i was more interested in listening to the Alto version than the Tenor version, but it doesn’t mean to say i don’t like listening to Tenor Sax’s as well, just that Alto’s do sound different to Tenor’s in relation to the same backing track. Some songs traditionally are more suited to Tenor than Alto, and an Alto doesn’t have the same effect.

Interestingly you are playing that alto to sound like your tenor pitches, it demonstrates how each mind has a fixed view on what each pitch should sound like in relation to the main instrument, so whatever instrument you pick up, you’ll still unconsciously tune into a tenor sound.

Mike Potter
                Participant

Thanks folks!!!

Pete, I’m playing an Eastman 52nd St tenor. I really like this horn, it very much reminds me of the sound of the King Super 20 I had years ago but with modern keyword. I was using a cheapie guardala fatboy copy that I bought from a friend, .115 tip opening with a select Jazz 3S reed.

My mic is a Stellar X2 large capsule condenser mic, it’s a copy of a Neumann U87, I run it into a Scarlett I2 and then into prologic. My settings in prologic are EQ using the Tenor Sax EQ and a little reverb.

I’m looking for a better preamp, I’d love an Avalon but can’t justify the $$.

Pete
                  Participant

Mike
                    Thanks for the info on you “gear” you don’t need to change anything, i am no expert (far from it) on recording etc but i think you got it sounding great. Looking up your Eastman sax, seem to have good reviews. Good to know what we are all using to play with, does your Eastman have the double bars on the low keys?

Thanks Mike

Mike Potter
                    Participant

S P. Yes! You’re right, I have that tenor tone so engrained in my head it’s difficult for me to play the alto. I want to subconsciously make it sound like my tenor. I’ve been splitting my practice time between the two horns (focusing on long tones to get the alto tone even). Hopefully this will help!

Mike Potter
                      Participant

Pete, thanks! yes it has the double braces on the arms for C, B and Bb.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.