Skip to main content
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Thanks again for sharing William!
      Thats sounds good enough for what i need for checking practice runs!

Just to recap – all you are using is garage band, the mv51 plugged on your mac, and garage band to controll the recording?

How is the backing track sourced? is it from a separate hifi or is it played through speakers connected to the mac?

I’m not familiar with how mac’s work, as i’ve used Pc’s all my life – so i’ve no idea how garage band works. Do you load the backing track in garage band & play the backing track in garage band while you record the sax?

William Cingolani
      Participant

I get many backing tracks from a karaoke outfit from France https://www.karaoke-version.com/my/index.html
        When I buy them and download them they go straight into my iTunes library. When I launch garage band I then can access them from iTunes into garage Band and slide the backing track into garage band. Very easy with a mac computer.The mic is a Shure MV51. My hear phones are plugged into my mic and I can control the input volume with a finger slide on the mic. And I use the sE Electronics Reflexion filter mounted on the mic stand. I load the backing track into iTunes. So I record my horn on a recording track that runs along my backing track in garage band.

Dazza
        Participant

I just gave away the idea of the digital recorder and discovered how great Garageband is on my iPad. I plug my SM57 into my x2u Mic interface and record straight into Garageband. It allows you to import mp3’s straight in then export them out to your iTunes account or email etc. This is a great option if you have an iPad. The features in Garageband are quite remarkable. You can do a duet by sending your finished file to someone else and they could then import to garage band and play over you and record. Hey William, what’s say we give that a go? If you have time any thought on a JF song? Perhaps a Carol.

Anonymous

Thanks again William – for taking time out to explain how you use garage band! Just waiting to get my 1st mac then i can try out garage band & look into the various mic’s to add! from all the demos, the shure mic range seems adequate enough!

Dazza
            Participant

Big disappointment today as my x2u Shure mic interface arrived in the mail only to find that the iPad does not provide enough phantom power to light it up. I did not come across this in all my trolling through the internet researching this. I also tried it plugged into a laptop but although the mic was being picked up it wouldn’t send the audio through to my USB Behringer mixer and to my speakers. Just when you think you have it all sorted! This stuff is a learning curve for sure. So just in case there are other examples out there confirm first that it definitely works before committing. Wont go to waste I’m sure and was only $50. Back to the digital recorder idea I suppose.

Anonymous

Hi Dazza, I have the same issue with my USB microphone – but there is a fix.
                Just buy yourself a powered USB hub, they aren’t too expensive.

I plug my Lenovo A10 and USB microphone into it, as well as a USB portable hard-disk which then gives me many thousands of hours recording time.
                After I have finished recording I plug the hard disk into my PC to do the file edits and conversion to MP3 with Audacity.

William Cingolani
                Participant

Santa Claus is Back in Town I’m blowing tenor sax

Anonymous

Sounds great William – thanks for sharing!
                    Good to hear you seriously working that sax, and uploading stuff for everyone to hear!

As part of further developing the sax, i need to spend more time listening to a more diverse spread of players!

Dazza
                    Participant

Good job William. Wondering where you got the track and the music from? Cool song that would be fun to have a go at.

William Cingolani
                      Participant

Dazza
                        I got the tracks from http://www.karaoke-version.com The sheet music I got from https://www.musicnotes.com

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.