Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Europa With 3 Different Guardala Mouthpieces

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Nick
    Participant

Hi Johnny and others!

Just got the chance to play around with the new MB2 Fatboy [Tenor]. The craftsmanship looks great…the tip and rails look clean, symmetrical and consistent. My limited playing time has allowed me to say that this mpc projects! I often play un-miked, so this will easily fill any venue I’ve played in thus far. For me, this is a free blowing mpc, with great response. But it is NOT overly free blowing where I am unable to shape my tone. The horn responds nicely, including the sometimes problematic [for me] lower register. The reeds that have worked for me with this particular piece are:

Rico [Daddario?] Jazz Select 2H, unfiled
      Rico Plastic Cover 3.0
      Rigotti 2.5 M

One notable thought: The supplied lig [for the MB2 Fatboy] secures the reed to the mpc table with a slightly more “centered” pressure pad. The ligatures that I’ve been using up to now secured the reeds with pressure along the side of the reed’s bark [and the bark to the top-sides of the mpc table]. So, reeds that I have broken in previous to this trial, may have took the shape of my previous mouthpiece, and that had been secured via this side pressure, as opposed to pressure down the center portion of the reed’s bark. So, with reeds that had taken on the shape of my previous mpc AND via the side pressure lig, I wasn’t getting a good, crisp sound while using the suppled lig [center pressure]. But when I placed my older lig [that applied pressure down the sides], everything was fine.

So to further test this theory out, I opened a brand new reed [that had no prior molding or shaping], and I tried the supplied lig that had a center pressure pad, and it sang just fine. This is probably the case because the brand new reed was not warped or not shaped into any previous profile, so it was able to provide a good seal with the supplied, center pressure lig.

So, keep that in mind if you are using the supplied lig with an already broken-in reed, you may have to either get a fresh reed, or use your old [side pressure] lig…or you may risk dismissing otherwise good playing reeds for this mpc/ligature set-up.

Also: Intonation was very good!

Have fun all! Thanks Johnny!!!!

Dazza
      Participant

Good points Nick. Since I got the MBII a couple of days ago I have been trying all of my 25 or so reeds that have been played over all of my five prvious MP’s and squeaking and squawking on most of them. The first reedI tried, a 1 1/2 was rarely used so I guess unsahped and it was fine. am off to the shop today to buy some brand newbies as although it’s very hard to tell I am guessing there is some shape issues going on. Is there any way to correct that issue by perhaps soaking the reed completely then putting it on and leaving it on until it dries. WOuld that be enough to bed it in on the new MP or are they just throw away’s now?

Nick
        Participant

Hi Dazza,

Thanks. Not sure if the soaking and remolding will work. Maybe someone with more experience can answer. But the one tool that might work is the “Reed Geek”. It can flatten the bottom side of the bark [where it meets the table], and perhaps you can salvage some of the non-cooperating reeds. Here’s a thread Michael Bishop started on the Reed Geek. I hope to get one myself. Good luck!

Has anyone used the "Reed Geek" Tool?

john
          Keymaster

ya I use that tool to straighten them out on the bottom only.
            reeds are a funny thing, they can easily take shape to another mp so it’s good to start with some fresh ones I think…I’m not an expert on this but my sax tech was telling me this just the other day.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

Here in Arkansas where I live our climate is very humid one day and cold the next day, and my reeds are drastically affected. Every single day, when I start practicing or something I have to go through the routine of dealing with reed maintenance. I may have used a reed that was fantastic one day; I can use that same reed tomorrow and then it’s doesn’t play anywhere near as good because it was affected by our weather that seems to change, every single day. Yesterday it was only 35 degrees as a high, today it’s in the low 60’s. The rest of the week will be warming up again, and the temperature is going to drop again. The summers are so, so hot…it’s unbelievable how hot and humid it gets..your clothes are sticking to you come 10:00 in the morning because the humidity is so ferocious in the summer. At nights in the summer it doesn’t drop below 90 degrees and that’s no exaggeration. I’ve had to take every precaution you can think of to protect my reeds–it’s something that I have to deal with constantly, sometimes it can really get on my nerves. I got tired of dealing with reeds that were affected from our climate and just last week I got the 2 following items below and it’s really, really helping. A couple of players suggested I look in synthetic reeds because it would take care of the humid climate affecting my reeds; the problem with that idea is that I don’t think Synthetic reeds are as warm & open-sounding as Cane reeds. It’s a little bit of extra work for me to deal with problematic reeds here, but getting a good sound is worth the effort. Given the problems I have to deal with because of the weather, I was thinking about making a quick video to post in Sax tips on reed care and I can show you the products below that I got to help care for reeds.

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Multi-Instrument-Humidity-Clarinets-Saxophones/dp/B001SN7VGO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01
              http://www.wwbw.com/Vandoren-Glass-Reed-Resurfacer-and-Reed-Stick-462749-i1143723.wwbw

Anonymous

@michael – simple solution to your reed problems – store them in a bottle containing 9 parts water to 1 part mouthwash when you finish playing them.

Michael Bishop
                Participant

@ Sxpoet: Cool tip, didn’t know that; thanks 🙂 I’ll give it a try.
                  I live in a very humid climate and the weather is constantly changing, my reeds have been victims of these ever-changing patters…it can be frustrating. Out of necessity I’ve started to take new measures to protect my reeds and I’m noticing a huge difference. I made a quick video/posted it in the “Sax tips” section, check it out guys and let me know what you think. Sometimes those squeaks that we get could be due to our reeds v.s. something we’re doing wrong. It’s nothing new that I’m doing now that other players haven’t already known about, but in the last week that I started taking these new precautions I’m seeing a big difference.

William Cingolani
                  Participant

Hi Johnny,
                    The MB11 arrived today. So I put a Vandoren Java #2 on and I easily blew it so I then put a java 2.5 and I easily blew the 2.5 reed. I’ll try a #3 java tomorrow. Whenever I put a reed on the mouthpiece I close off the back of the mp and suck on the mouthpiece so that the reed slowly releases with a pop. That assures me that the reed is attached with no leaks. The java reeds did not pop but the rico royal did pop. The javas might be a little too wide on the top of the MB11, although all the reeds played well. The MB11 sounded great and was easy to play. So I suppose the MB11 is now my favorite mouthpiece until, until, I get the MB fat boy. The fat boy has the same tip opening as the MB11, 114. So if I can blow the MB11 with a tip opening of 114 I should be able to blow a MB Fat Boy with the same tip opening. So, Johnny, when ever if you ever you take another order for Guardala tenor sax mouthpieces I want to order the MB Fat boy. Meanwhile I’ll be tooting my MB11.
                    And I liked the music wrapping paper and your picture will post in my music room along with Keith Richards and the Boys in the Band. Thanks Johnny.

john
                    Keymaster

Interesting how you can easily go from a #2 up to a #3 reed that smoothly and easily. I have been playing a #3 for decades and so if I drop to a 2.5 it’s just way too soft, and if I try a 3.5 it’s just way too hard. These half size differences are huge for me personally so I’m amazed that you can do that. Is there one size that feels just right for you? I would think there should be in order to properly compare different mouthpieces.

Put all your reeds together, drop them in a glass with water covering at least half the reed. Then get the mp you feel most comfortable on and go thru all these reeds. Lay them down in the order you liked the best. Now finally, play the top 3 and pick your favorite reed. This is your perfect reed and the one you can compare your mp’s with. Anyway, this is how I do it when my reed headache gets to a certain point!

Regarding the Vandoren reeds… I’ve been using Java’s for ages and find them a perfect fit for my Guardala but a couple weeks ago I tried the V16’s and must say they are at least as good and might have a bit more brightness to them. The Guardala’s are usually bright enough for most people so a brighter reed might not be what you’re looking for but I kinda like the brighter side of things so I’ll keep working with the V16’s along side my Javas for a while.

As for another order…I just got another couple requests so it will be soon. Will get back to you in an email when ready. I can’t argue against the Fatboy cause as you know it’s has been my preference this far!

William Cingolani
                      Participant

Thanks Johnny. I’ll set those reeds out tomorrow to find my perfect reed.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 35 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.