Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire hello dolly

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

fantastic JF – i’m so annoyed, this is another backing track i will have to buy! What is so amazing is i can hear what you are doing at the back of your mouth when you play it. I know exactly what you are doing to make it sound like that, whereas a year ago i would have put it down to the player.

Dazza
      Participant

Great rendition JF. Unfortunatey in listening to it I doubt whether I could get my fingers around the solo section at present and what I thought was going to be a simple song to play probably isn’t attainable. Does the form of the song allow you to repeat the first section but perhaps with some variation to the tempo to change it up a bit as it definately benefits from that middle solo break you did? Hope this makes sense!

Jazz Cat
        Participant

world’s best sax cover on this, u rock

Hello Dolly Saxophone Music and Backing Track

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Yep, this is a good one for sure. He captured the essence of Louis Armstrong’s singing really well in his Sax playing for sure 🙂 I made sure to buy it now that I can…that old saying always seems to hold true have needing something and we don’t have the $, or having the $ when we don’t need something LOL Looking forward to see what else is coming now in 2016 🙂

William Cingolani
            Participant

Great song Johnny. And you play it the best. I saw Louis Armstrong and Carol Channing perform Hello Dolly in Little Rock some time ago back in the late 60s

john
              Keymaster

Hey William that’s so cool seeing Louis! where they together for some reason or was it 2 seperate events?
                Thanks jazz cat, I looked high and low for a sax cover before starting to work on mine but there was nothing.
                Dazza, I hear you, but other than going for that high A I don’t think you’ll have too much trouble, it’s just simple melodic improvised ideas that I tried to keep reasonably simple.
                Also, you can noodle with your own ideas over these chords which I’ve included (remember you can solo using just the notes of the major scale or key this song is in) take a look at my selection of notes to see how they relate to the chord above AND the key the song is in (this is the trick and the key of the Major Scale Improve Course.
                and of course yes, you can always blast through that 32 bar solo section playing the main melody again because the solo section is identical to the entire 32 bar section which comes before it.
                as for your tempo suggestion, no I don’t get it.

Dazza
                Participant

Thanks Johnny. I will buy it and give it a go and see what I can do. Sorry meant rhythm not tempo I think. What I meant to say was perhaps just adding some more notes above and below the melody to add colour…….and I have just realised that means IMPROVISING doesn’t it!! LOL

john
                  Keymaster

YES! those would be good small steps to take for starting to improve on your soloing skills…add a few notes around the main melody. you know which notes to play. Just keep an eye on the chords above to get your ideas. for example, if you’re playing over a Bm chord then you can emphasize the chordal notes (B, D, F#) or a short diatonic run such as B, C#, D, E F#. you see how those 5 notes are part of the Bm scale AND they’re part of the D major scale, which is the key the song is in….it’s not rocket science. that’s all I did to make my solo.

William Cingolani
                    Participant

Yea Johnny. Carol Channing and Satchmo were together when I saw them. Through some connections I happen to get an invite and free ticket

john
                      Keymaster

wow, what a duo, too much.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.