Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire hello dolly

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Johnny – wonderful performance, thanks we can hear that you have put a lot of work into this version!

wayne wojnarowski
      Participant

Hey Johnnie you sound great as usual! One day in the near future I hope I will be able to post a video of me playing anything , the technical stuff of computers is really taking
        it’s toll on my psyche. Your playing and comments are inspiring and sooner or later i’ll get something out to you all.

wayne wojnarowski
        Participant

Johnnie I had another listen and HONEST TO GOD you kicked butt . Show us how you growl

wayne wojnarowski
          Participant

Johnnie ooh my goodness you really did kick butt you played the very words !!! Show us how to do that!!

wayne wojnarowski
            Participant

Johnnie what I meant to say is you sang the song through your horn what kind of throat techniques did you use? That would be a cool subject!!

john
              Keymaster

well, the growl is something I like to do a lot and there is a video lesson about it on my youtube channel.
                everything else is just articulation which is the way we choose to articulate the notes, much like when we talk…
                How we phrase the notes; smooth (legato) or more chopped up (tonguing) etc.
                With breathe control we can make the notes more airy, and there is the subtone effect which is nice on the lower end of the horn, this is when more air comes through the note…the best example of subtones is to listen to Ben Webster, there is a post about him in my blog.
                Don’t forget about ornaments like trills, shakes, mordents fall-offs, and glissandos. All this stuff adds to our “bag of tricks” we can use to make a bunch of plain notes on a page stand out a bit more.

Dazza
                Participant

Is a trill vastly different than a shake? I was reading some posts elsewhere and its confusing. Is a shake just a trill but the notes are further apart??

john
                  Keymaster

not sure what others call a shake but I play, let’s say an A, then with the right hand shake all fingers simultainiously up and down and get an awesome effect.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.