Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Purple Logo Yamaha's? & "The 10 Most Important Saxophone Models & Their Players"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Keith Taylor
    Participant

Who can tell me what makes a purple logo yamaha more desirable than one that doesn’t have a purple logo? I assume the earlier ones had a purple logo prior to a certain year? What year would that have been?

Also, here is an article I found really interesting that talks about the ten most important model saxophones – key characteristics of each one – and a few notable musicians that played them. They do mention the Yamaha 62 in it but don’t mention anything about those that have a purple logo verses those that don’t.

https://reverb.com/news/10-most-important-saxophone-models-and-their-players

Please share your knowledge on the whole purple logo thing if you have any. I’m just curious.

Keith

john
      Keymaster

sorry but I am not familiar with that purple logo they use, but thanks for the article, really enjoyed reading it.

Anonymous

Hi Keith

Have a look at this article, there are a number of Yamaha reviews on this site.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/yamaha_yts61.htm

john
          Keymaster

thanks Mel, ya another good article you shared there.
            I hold yamaha saxes in very high regard.
            whenever I played a pro model yamaha I have been very impressed. mostly with the way it feels and plays…pretty much as perfect as any other horn I’ve played including my mark 6.
            the Japanese are 2nd to none when it comes to this type of production, immitating etc. but what those horns do fall short on compared to a selmer is the tone. it probably comes down to the materials used….the types and blend of alloys etc.

jak Swift
            Participant

Top of the list…10M…yeah !!
              Yamaha’s, Yanis are great horns in the sense they don’t let you down. On a personal level I find they lack, well soul for want of a better word. I know a guy with the ” purple logo ” horns. Tenor & sop. All I know is they are the 62 range. As long as any tenor, alto, or contrabass plays, the rest is down to the player. Having your ” horn of choice ” does make a difference. In time Keith you’ll find what suits you best. Take it easy….jak

Keith Taylor
              Participant

Thanks y’all!

I have no intetion of trying to buy a Purple Logo Yamaha right now , though. Because. Well, my local Sam Ash music had the used Cannonball Big Bell Global Series that was in good shape (that had belonged to one of their employee’s) for sale for $1800. I played it along with a brand new Yamaha Custom Z tenor, a new P Mauriat tenor – both of which were much more expensive – and also an old Buescher that was $800. I did prefer the brighter sound and feel of the Yamaha – likely because it was more what I was use to due to my alto being a YAS23 – but the Cannonball – to me – was much easier to play. The lower notes were sooo much easier to get out in particular. It had a bigger sound to me through out its range – or what I was able to play at least. I ended up getting them to sell it to me for $1600 out the door – and have been thrilled with it since. The only complaint I do have is its weight. It’s noticeably heavier than most other tenors – but at the time I saw that as a sign of good materials and quality. I have lower back issues and have noticed that practicing too long on it causes my back to flare up – even while using a harness rather than a standard strap.

That being said, I can’t justify buying anything else right now. I use to think that I wanted to buy a Yamaha when I could afford to, because I liked their brighter tone. But, I think my taste has since shifted to where I like the more mellow / warm sound. Some of this has come from me switching from a baffled T75 Jumbo Java to a V16 T7 that has no baffle. When I first played the V16 I didn’t like it because it doesn’t have the edge and brightness that the Jumbo Java has – which is what I bought it for to begin with. To brighten up the darker sound of the Canoonball horn in comparsion to the Yamaha. The V16 mouthpiece was much darker and more mello when I first played it, and I didn’t like it. But within a week or so, I couldn’t get enough of the V16 and I rarely play the Jumbo Java now.

Anyway, my point is that I like the Cannonball Vintage Reborn series, because, according to that review, it has some of the vintage type sound, but I’m assuming has the easier playabilty of modern horns. I’d love to have a 10M, though – simply because I think they look and sound beautiful. At least they sound beautiful when played by one of my favorite sax players (Aubra Graves).

I use to think I needed to buy something like a Theo Wanna Shiva mouthpiece – which I’ve played before and loved – or one of the Guardala’s from Johnny. But I just recently discovered this recording of my sax instructor playing a V16 T9 on his Mk IV. Which – yes – it is a Mark IV and – yes – he (Mace Hibbard) plays waaaaay better than most of us sax players ever will. But – listen to how good he’s making a freakin’ $130 mouthpiece sound! To me – that says a whole lot about not getting too hung up on the mouthpiece or horn you’re playing and just making what you got work for you.

Speaking of changing taste. I thought Java Green 2.5’s were my favorite reed – until I played a Hemke on my V16. Again, the Hemke’s are not as bright and edgy sounding as the Java Greens, but it gives me more of mellow / clean Scott Hamilton / Aubra Graves sound I’m working towards.

So anyway, I posted the link and ask about the purple logo Yamaha’s because I’m just curious about the different types of horns – both vintage and modern. I’d love if there was a shop here in Atlanta that had each of the key vintage horns mention in the article I posted above – as well as the newer ones – that I could go in a play to see which one I do want to work towards owning one day. And I hope it’s not a MK IV that I’d end up liking most because I’d have a real hard time justifying paying what some of them are costing these days when I don’t play professionally.

And thanks for that link, Jeff. I’ve read a couple of reviews on it since you posted it, particularly the one about the Cannonball Vintage Reborn series tenor – because that particular horn – in that exact finish – is what I’ll likely be buying next – especially after reading that review. I want to play and hold one first to see if they’re as heavy as my Global Series. If they are, I likely would likely go ahead and shop around for an afforable vintage horn that plays well.

jak Swift
                Participant

Always great posts Keith !! Anytime your in Liverpool UK, your welcome to try my 10 M. I have your mail address, I’ll send you some photos, later.

jak Swift
                  Participant

I sent you those photos man, have a great day !!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.