Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Reeds for Newbie

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Craig Duckering
    Participant

Update: I’ve been playing the Black Onyx for a few days now and they are great. Mainly playing the Soft so far, and tried the Medium Soft today, and felt a little different but still played well. Overall I love the way it is easier to hit the low notes without too much trouble. However, I am wondering if it is normal to have it be tougher to hit the Altissimo range. High D to E is usually doable, but I am having trouble with the high F. Of course I’m a newbie, so that could be a practice thing as well. Just to compare a put a tested cane reed back on today for a few minutes, and it did seem to be more effort to blow. So I’m definitely liking the synthetic, and will have to experiment with others. Thanks for sharing everyone!

john
      Keymaster

Takes a little time Craig. I took some time to fully control the altissimo….although, what you are calling the altissimo is the top end of the regular rannge, those last 3 or 4 notes. When we say altissimo we mean the range that starts after the highest note of the regular range which is F (or F#)

Craig Duckering
        Participant

Thanks Johnny, I didn’t know that. Yes, on the palm keys, I can hit the D consistently, and E sometimes ;), but the high F is very hard to hit, seems even harder with the synthetic reed versus cane. May be my imagination, but curious, it is easier to hit the very high notes with a stiffer reed? Right now I am mainly practicing with the Black Onyx Soft. Thanks!

john
          Keymaster

it might be easier and doesn’t hurt to try and see, but we eventually must hit the entire range with one reed!
            my theory is if one can hit the high D, then you can hit the D#, and if you can hit the D# then you can hit the E etc.
            if niot, then work on sustaining the highest note you can hit (in your case sounds like the E) while playing it play the F…without ending your breath. in other words, without a gap between the E and the F…go right into it. blow loud and hard!
            you’re just changing your finger position so you should be able to get the F if your air support is strong.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.