Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video the thrill is gone

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous

at 1:27 pitch perfect at that altitude…

john
            Keymaster

great stuff, really enjoyed it!

Anonymous

As an Alto player, i can still appreciate listening to a Tenor Sax, but i wouldn’t dream of trying to make my Alto sound like a Tenor. I can hear a lot of jazz phrasing in there .. dah da dah da

i like ‘the thrill is gone‘ – it makes you understand how a Sax player can hold back and let a singer shine without taking the spotlight off the singer. And in this record the sax sounds very seductive without being outrageous.

‘Walking with Mr Lee’ – is great, it shows how a sax can hold the spotlight, just like a singer.

Finally, i like the jackie kelso, you can hear how a sax can play rhythmn (or harmony if prefer, compared to straight melody).

john
                Keymaster

good points….I learned a long time ago that if you want to work full time as a sax player you better learn how to stay outta the spot light of the singer that’s for sure.
                  check out some Earl bostic, he is the most tenor-sounding alto player that ever was. His tone and the way he articulates, bends and attacks notes, all that stuff.

Anonymous

john
                    Keymaster

yup… that’s what I’m talking about! Love it

Anonymous

Earl Bostic Rocks! If I heard that a few years ago I might be an alto player now. I only heard the stuff where the alto sounds like a fly stuck in a drainpipe. I do have one though, a cheapy I can give to the kids later. I only really use it when feeling a bit under the weather or have a sore back. The Lee Allen video tune also impressive. As for the others, it’s amazing what they called R & B then and the drivel they call R & B now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.