Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Winter turns to Spring.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

Winter turns to spring
      What may she bring
      Summer turns to Fall
      Mother natures call
      Just trying to find some peace of mind.

Hi folks,been a while for sure. Here’s hoping everybody is safe , happy and well.
      Looking back over my rambling posts, it may come as no surprise I had a breakdown the end of last year.
      I wasn’t dealing with things; just playing hour after hour without direction. If I wasn’t playing, I was on here. One morning I woke up broken….completely. Spent Christmas in hospital.
      I’ve been meaning to come onto the forum to say hi for a while….so.,.HI !!!
      All that is behind me; I’m calm, well, looking after Mom. In short I’m in a really great place. These things happen for a reason I guess. I feel fine sharing the experience….. Time to move forward.
      So what of horns ??
      Peter King has always been one of my favourite players. The number of times I’ve watched him play and thought ” if I could be bop like that…man !! ”
      Now, I have one horn, one mpc. A Lupifaro alto, and a vintage Brillhart Ebolin. I spend my time listening to PK,Bird, Paul Desmond, Art Pepper.
      In my opinion, alto is without doubt the hardest of the main four. Am I getting it down…??
      OH YEAH !!
      So, back to it. I haven’t enjoyed playing so much in a long long time. Its not R & R; a totally new project; one I’ve been wanting to get down for as long as I can remember. Life’s good.
      A tune, I’ve been listening to a lot lately, is ” sometimes a drifter ” by the unreal guitar singer songwriter Kelly Joe Phelps. It really sums up how I’m feeling these days….give it a listen should you wish. Thanks Johnny, take care folks. Until next time..,..jak.

Pete
      Participant

Jak
        Hope you keep well take easy life is short mate, glad you are on the way up
        and getting back to normal.

Anonymous

Hit the road Jak!

Welcome back Jak! Glad to hear you’re back in the saddle!

You haven’t missed much in here, a bone yard has seen more action…
          been real dead in the forums since xmas, everyone’s either busy practicing , given up playing sax or too busy to find the time.

Since december, i had a sax overload, found i wasn’t improving on the sax.
          So i scrapped everything, went back to my grade 1 2 & 3 tutor books, and been concentrating just playing in time with backing tracks and not playing songs beyond my level of playing. Hopefully things will improve.

Anonymous

Hi Jak, here’s another cool street performance

jak Swift
            Participant

Thanks guys. Old friends are good friends; your best wishes mean a lot.
              Sxpoet, don’t worry man. This whole sax playing thing is a journey. Good days , bad days. You may not think you are moving forward but so long as you are playing and enjoying that’s the important thing.
              Life is short Pete. Post meltdown, I’m grateful for every day. I reckon this alto switch will see me through until I’m done. Man am I enjoying it !!
              Ray Charles. What can I say ?? I think we can all agree the guy was a musician in all the best ways. I’m going to have a little look around, and then load him up on Spotify…..
              Its good to be back. No more essays….that’s a promise….lol !!
              Again, thankyou. Have a safe and happy weekend.
              ( give up the sax…?? GOOD GRIEF !! )

jak Swift
              Participant

😉

Mel
                Participant

Good to see you posting Jak! Wishing the best for you in 2018!

jak Swift
                  Participant

Thanks Mel. Great to cyber see you again. Hope your playing is going well ? Dick Oatts is the player we are getting into right now. Check out the clip Jeff loaded this morning. Man ; some GREAT BE BOP.
                    Take it easy, and I’ll look forward to speaking soon…..best…jak

jak Swift
                    Participant

Sorry Mel, yeah hi !! Been one of those days. Fitting a new broadband box, re configuring the pad. I’m really going to have to get a laptop soon I guess.
                      Last year was tough. Lost a couple of very close friends. Getting older; these things happen. Where did the last thirty years go man ??
                      So; as you have seen, I’ve taken on a whole new challenge. The guy I buy my sax bits from has a birthday tomorrow. I was saying to him ” I think I’ve known for a while my playing days will end with a switch to alto “. Its like the old days; so enthusiastic; listening to new players, ordering sheets. I’m in a great place. Having a brand new horn is a blast. I actually polished it yesterday…. ( don’t tell anybody…lol !! ).
                      On top of the Bird omnibook, and if Johnny doesn’t mind, just a few bits I’m listening to, and watching on you tube….
                      Peter King….Lush Life. ( check out Jeff Beck looking on, totally entranced )
                      Art Pepper….Patricia, and The ballad of ( all ) the sad young men.
                      Paul Desmond….A taste of honey.
                      Finally, from the album ” With Strings ” the sublime ” Everything happens to me ” ( Charlie Parker ).
                      I guess I was unsure as to whether I could convey a ballad on alto. I’m a real sucker for a beautiful melody. It works !! Today ” Emily ” by Johnny Mandel. Always a favourite tenorsax tune, played by Zoot, it carries really well. Another Paul Desmond you tube view.
                      Its good to be back Mel !! I see you’ve loaded up a problem with your horn. I’ll take a look, see if I can shed any light……
                      Speak soon; thanks for the best wishes…jak

jak Swift
                      Participant

No problems…… Good !!
                        Neck pain and headaches….ouch !!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.